Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

These are gorgeous!

Genuine examples of plates with what's known as the Fitzhugh pattern. It was one of the most popular tableware patterns that the Chinese made for export to the west from the mid 1700s onwards and peaking in complexity (as with these examples) in the period 1780 - 1820 when it was most fashionable in the West.

The pattern was named for a director of the British East India Company who apparently was the first to order a dinner service in this pattern -a design that was largely inspired by the motifs on Chinese textiles that were popular at the time.

The luncheon plate size (9") sell for around $100 - $150 on line (eBay) if in perfect condition with no rim nibbles, although light wear to the rust red rim enamel is acceptable.

Hope this helps!

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Great ..i have 2!! You said plate...they are bowls....im guessing same difference though?
Got 2 for price of one:)
Looks like bowls are the same..reading about Mr fitzhugh..very interesting

Okay I understand. These would have been made and sold as "soup plates".

Great buy, well done!