Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/20/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

This is a lovely piece of late Edo or early Meiji period Arita porcelain with an Imari palette and dating to the period 1856 - 1875, so this is an exceptionally old example of 19th century Japanese export ware.

It also has a very interesting mark. The column of three characters on the left reads:

深川製 or "Fukagawa made"

Fukagawa is a famous name in Arita (Imari) porcelain because of an individual called Ezaiemon Fukagawa (1833-1889) who founded the "Scented Orchid" or "Koransha" company that became an extremely successful export business and the preeminent name in Japanese porcelain even to this day.

This plate doesn't bear the "Koransha" orchid in the mark, it pre-dates it, and the column of characters on the right reads:

肥碟山

"Hichozan" which is a signature that appears on Fukagawa porcelain before Ezaiemon officially founded it.

This would be a sought after piece if one sold it on eBay. I would give it an auction/eBay value of $300 - $500.

Full retail/replacement/insurance value: $1000.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Thanks....im still reading about Mr Fitzhugh.....im going to send u one more I bought awhile ago...its kind of comical...i will be reading up this japanese piece next....if u have time for the bowl I'm sending great..if not I'll check tomorrow... it has been sitting on a precarious place on a tall dresser my kitty likes to walk on so I'm thinking I should know whether I should put it in my enclosed shelf!!!..lol