Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

11/19/2017
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when he is back online.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Kalina,

Just a quick answer on this, because that's all it needs.

Bot***** *****ne, this is a very good piece and worth every bit of the $350 price tag.

It's an extremely nice blue and white porcelain vase decorated with motifs from archaic bronze vessels from the Zhou Dynasty (1046-256 BCE).

The bottom is marked with a meticulously handpainted Daoguang mark that reads (in Zhuanshu script):

大清道光年製
Da Qing Daoguang Nian Zhi -
"Great Qing Daoguang Period Made". The emperor Daoguang's reign was 1821-1850.

It's not nearly that old, however. This is an atypical shape, the carinated neck and waist is a more recent form dating to about the 1920s or 1930s when there was a fashion, during this early Chinese Republic era, for using these old Daoguang imperial seal marks.

This vase would sell at auction or on line in the $1400 - $2000 range (assuming it's roughly 7" - 9" tall)

Good find!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Well..8m not a big fan of blue and white because there is so much it is overwhelming...i look at one now and then....i didn't buy this one but I did buy a few other items in this auction. I will send shortly. What chinese antiques do u favor?

You are right, blue and white can certainly be mind-numbing in large quantities and look rather same-ish.

I prefer the porcelains that are the hardest to fake, one of which are the beautiful imperial Peking bowls with the so-called 'scraffiato' curlicues carefully etched into the surface.

Other favorites are Yixing teapots. The clay they are made from is so versatile and capable of being modeled in such extraordinary detail. Yixing is also about the only Chinese ceramics that are always meticulously marked, so there's never any doubt.

My most favorite of all are the figural pieces from the Tang era. Superbly modeled horses and other animals in earthenware and glazed in simple yellows, greens and browns.

I've only seen the tang figures in the museums in China...except one that may have been real...ill see if I have the pic...its probably still for sale...was buried with some other really old stuff
Found the pics...real or fake?
20170715_121642.jpg2017071...jpg20170715_121648.jpg2017071...jpg20170715_121654.jpg2017071...jpg20170715_121706.jpg2017071...jpg20170715_121713.jpg2017071...jpg20170715_121717.jpg2017071...jpg

Those both look real. That's extraordinary about the Peking bowl!!!! I hope you bought it, it could be worth thousands. I can't see the mark very well, but at the very least, it's early 20th century.

The sancai glazed figure riding the lion is a very good piece too!

Sadly I did not buy the bowl...i waited for the last day 50 percent off and it was gone....can u give an estimate on the tank piece I can call the place tomorrow and see if they still have it and how much they want he is a bargainer I have bought other things from him...there are also those old acupuncture or acupressure figures nearby that piece...they are like 3 ft tall!!
I sent u 2 pieces i bought...also picked up a white jade dragons belt hook...boy the prices and dates of those really range on the internet!!...$1000 to $10,000... wonder what mine is?

As regards ***** ***** belt hook. A quick test for jade is to drag a corner of it very slowly and firmly against a sheet of ordinary glass and see if you can scratch the glass. If you can, that's a good sign. It's not a conclusive proof, but it rules out 99% of the jade substitutes.

As regards ***** ***** figure, looking at it again, I see it's a tiger and meant to be a roof tile ornament, though strictly speaking they have curved bases (a roof tile). This is a really good example and you should go get it first thing tomorrow

I would offer them $80 and see what they say.

It's worth at least $750.

Hope this helps!

Wow..ill let u know if it is still there and if I was able to get it!
Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser