Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I own an original silk screen painting by Kitagawa Utamaro…

I own an original silk...
I own an original silk screen painting by Kitagawa Utamaro painted sometime in the late 1700's. I would like to get it appraised and offer it to some museums for viewing. Please respond to me at***@******.***. Thanks.
11/18/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Please send an image of this, also include the sizes of the piece.

Here are instructions on how to send images:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Thank you for the images, they are great.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Original silk screen painting by Kitagawa Utamaro has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $8500.00 -10,000.00 Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.

. Here is a list of the leading Art Museums across the US that you might contact to see if they are interested in your Art.

1
Metropolitan Museum of Art

New York, NY - The Met is the largest art museum in the United States with over two million items in its collection. Famous for its Egyptian holdings and antiquities from other cultures, as well as complete ancient interiors built as permanent installations.

2

Art Institute of Chicago

This is the second largest art museum in the U.S. (in square footage) after the Metropolitan in New York and has over 300,000 pieces (but also see the entry for the Brooklyn Museum). A comprehensive museum best known for impressionist, post-impressionist and American art. Also has a renowned collection of miniatures and one of the largest collections of Claude Monet paintings.

3

Philadelphia Museum of Art

A comprehensive museum with over 227,000 pieces. Includes famous collections of Flemish and Italian Renaissance art, Chinese porcelains, Persian and Turkish rugs, and one of the world's best exhibits of sculptures by Rodin. Also has important impressionist, post-impressionist, and modern art and a very large comprehensive collection of American art.
see more on Philadelphia Museum of Art

4

National Gallery of Art

Washington, DC - one of the largest art museums in the U.S. Possesses a major collection of renaissance art, including the only da Vinci piece in the Americas, Spanish art, Dutch masters, impressionists and in the East Wing, vast holdings in modern art. The museum's collection consists of more than 115,000 prints, paintings, drawings, sculptures, and decorative objects.

5

Cleveland Museum of Art

A comprehensive museum containing about 45,000 works of art. Its collection is internationally known for Asian and Egyptian Art. Holdings include pieces by Botticelli, Caravaggio, El Greco, Rubens, Goya, Dalí, Matisse, Renoir, Gauguin, Corot, Eakins, Monet, Vincent van Gogh, Picasso, and many others.

6

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

A comprehensive museum holding more than 450,000 works of art. Famous for impressionist, post-impressionist art and Ancient Egyptian artifacts. Also famous for one of the largest collections of Japanese art and pottery in the world.

7

Detroit Institute of Arts

Contains over 65,000 pieces. A comprehensive museum with important collections of Early European paintings old masters, armor, art of ancient cultures, and American art. Highlights include murals painted especially for the museum by Diego Rivera, the Wedding Dance by Peter Bruegel the Elder, and Auguste Rodin's The Thinker.

8

Museum of Modern Art

New York, NY - Considered one of the greatest collections of art from the Impressionist period forward including some of the most famous works by Van Gogh, Picasso, Dali, Matisse, Henri Rousseau, and Andrew Wyeth. Holdings include about 150,000 works plus "22,000 films and 4 million film stills."

9

Getty Center

Los Angeles, California - Two locations: the J. Paul Getty Museum of Art (holds European and American from the Middle Ages to present) and the Getty Villa (Ancient Arts of Greece and Rome).
Item ImageDisney's Animal Kingdom rising to #13The Best Zoos in the United States
Item ImageCOSI Columbus rising to #7The Best Children's Museums in the World
Los Angeles County Museum of A is listed (or ranked) 10 on the list The Best Art Museums in the United States

10

Los Angeles County Museum of Art

The largest art museum in the Western U.S., holding a comprehensive collection of over 100,000 works including pieces by Titian, Rembrandt, Cezanne, Gauguin, and Renoir. Highly regarded for its modern and contemporary galleries.
see more on Los Angeles County Museum of Art

11

Brooklyn Museum

A comprehensive art institute with a famous collection of Egyptian art, Pacific Islander art, and one of the most important collections of American art (especially 19th Century). Known also for its new collection of 20th Century Feminist art.

12

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

A comprehensive museum holding about 80,000 works that span 5,000 years though only has the display space for about 5% of its collection. Particularly known for Asian art, also has impressive collections of 17th Century Dutch Masters, Fauvist, Cubist, and Expressionist art.

13

Toledo Museum of Art

Toledo, Ohio - maintains a permanent collection of over 30,000 pieces.

14

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

Kansas City, Missouri - A general art museum holding over 33,000 works. Especially known for its collection of Asian art; old master works such as paintings by Caravaggio, Titian, Bronzino, and Rembrandt, American art, and photography, including the entire Hallmark Photographic Collection.
The Nelson-Atkins was one of fifteen regional museums to be gifted European Masters work from the Kress Foundation.
see more on Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

15

Indianapolis Museum of Art

The "eighth largest encyclopedic museum" in the U.S. with over 54,000 works. Important collections in Japanese art, Chinese porcelain, American, and neo-impressionist art. Considered one of the leading museums in the development of the arts and art education for future generations.

16

Saint Louis Art Museum

A comprehensive museum containing over 30,000 works of art. Known for impressive impressionist, Barbizon/plein-air, and post-impressionist art, antique Japanese and Korean decorative arts, and especially for its collection of 20th Century Expressionist, Max Beckmann. The museum's contemporary galleries include important pieces from Frank Stella, Ellsworth Kelly, and Robert Motherwell.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.

.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Thank you.

You are very welcome.