Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

This is an Estate ring - I was told she lived in NY and

purchased it there in jewelry...
This is an Estate ring - I was told she lived in NY and purchased it there in jewelry district late 70s early 80s family is wealthy so they don’t this it is costume- believe the large stone to be coral- it has writing on it but can not make it out- any help would be greatly appreciated
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpg
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
Wayne, Appraiser
This is Wayne I am a verified expert in jewelry and I can help you with this. Can you post a photo of any marks or "writing" in the ring?
Thanks,
The only writing I can see is in the last picture I sent originally which is very hard to make out
Any clues yet?
Rarewares
Rarewares, Other

I see you requested a new expert. This isCustomer you requested me initially but I was not online at the time.

This is a 1950's-1960's cocktail ring featuring cabochon-cut, bezel-set natural coral in a

14k gold open basket setting. The value of this ring is $1000 to $1200 retail.

There should be a 14k or 585 mark on the inside shank of the ring. Again, you can have it tested

by a local jeweler for gold assay for free. These rings were made in 14k gold and 18k gold.

If the ring is an 18k gold setting, it would read 18k or 750 on the inner shank. That carat of gold would make the ring worth $1600.

Since this looks to be a natural and real piece of coral from the back, it is unlikely that the ring is NOT gold. A jeweler would not put a real piece of coral in a gold-plated (not gold) ring.

If you are able to read any of the writing on the inner shank, do let me know. Sometimes designer rings also have the designer name there and that would increase the value if the ring were a known designer.

I think that covers every possibility, let me know if I missed anything about this piece.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

I will see if I can read it with my loop

Sure, the use of a loupe should make it an easy read.

"If the ring is an 18k gold setting, it would read 18k or 750 on the inner shank. That carat of gold would make the ring worth $1600."

The mark there is 750 and the word underneath could be ITALY or could be a maker's name.

The 750 means that the ring is 18k gold and was made in Europe or Asia because the 750 stamp is their standard mark for 18k gold. This style of ring was commonly made in Italy based on the style but of course could have been made anywhere that coral is prevalent.

This ring has a current value of $1600 to $2000 retail.

Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Thank you!

You are welcome!

I was able to read the bottom which is 253 MA - what does that mean

Could it possibly be 253 NA?

Here is why...

Italian goldsmiths and silversmiths each have a registry number associated with their

company. In this case 253 would be the registry number of the maker (unknown).

The two letters at the end represent the city of manufacture. There is no MA in Italian gold, but

there is a NA for Napoli (Naples) Italy.

There is not a comprehensive list of goldsmith numbers, so I could not tell you exactly the maker,

but if this is an NA then the ring was made in Naples, Italy.

That is super blurry, but that is okay.

Now you know that you have an Italian ring made in Naples, Italy by

maker number 253. While silversmiths have a comprehensive list of silver makers, gold makers

do not have this same list (and their Naples list only goes up to 215). I will show you the silvesmith list as an example. http://www.silvercollection.it/SILVERSMITHSNA.html

Sometimes the numbers were assigned to the same maker if they made both silver and gold items. I would suggest you be sure that the number is ***** If it is a low number and not 253, it might be on this silver list

if they also made silver. Otherwise, that is the one part that I am unable to unearth for you.

I got so close, still looking. 252 NA is jeweler Galliano Ciro, registry issued in 1975.

This is the best there is for a list and 253 is not on any of these. http://www.925-1000.com/forum/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=na&t=27003&sf=msgonly&ch=-1&start=40

Thank you for all of your help - above and beyond!

You are so welcome! I look forward to helping you again soon.