Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have another vase and I was wondering what you can tell me

about it. I’ve included the...
I have another vase and I was wondering what you can tell me about it. I’ve included the glass next to it and the tape because I don’t have a measuring tape at the moment and I thought this would help you determine dimensions it’s cream-colored I love this piece
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Are there any markings or names on the vase? I will post back when completed and to check on any markings thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I posted 4 pictures can you see them? There are markings in the pictures
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi! This is Robert here again, thanks for requesting me, I'd be glad to help with this one.

This is a very elegant example of early American porcelain by a company called Willets Belleek who operated a factory in Trenton, New Jersey, from 1879 to about 1909, so your vase is well over a hundred years old. Hard to believe looking at the photos. It looks like it came out of the kiln yesterday. That's largely due to the finish, called blanc-de-chine, and also due to quality of the porcelain which has a distinctive warmth and luster to it that is completely pleasing. I can quite see why you love it.

The reason for this exceptional quality is because Willets was started by a number of former employees of the famous Belleek factory, in Co Fermanagh, Ireland, who immigrated in the 1870s bringing their knowledge and skills to Trenton, New Jersey where there was already the beginnings of America's first major porcelain industry. Even though Willets was relatively short-lived, it nevertheless has a special significance because it spawned the ceramic giants of the twentieth century, most notably Lenox China, and is an important part in the history of decorative arts in the USA.

Your vase is the sort of china that became extremely popular as a blank for china painting, a semi-professional occupation that became enormously popular at this time. Willet's was well known for making and supplying the blanks not just for hobby china decorators but also to professional decorator studios such as those at Pickards in Chicago. So it's actually quite unusual to see one of these vases undecorated and in its original pristine state.

I would give this one an auction or on-line value in the range of $50 - $80. Full retail/replacement value: $150.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Robert as always fabulous job! I enjoy the history of the items I send to you.

Great! Delighted to shine some light on these often unappreciated old treasures.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55356;���
Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser