Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I’d like to know more about this planter. I took a picture

I’d like to know more...
I’d like to know more about this planter. I took a picture of the marks. One is The same color as the planter so it’s difficult to see but it appears there’s a big R or a B in the middle of it. There’s more I just can’t tell.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpg
11/16/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your very decorative antique planter. Thanks for all the great photos, I can see exactly what you have.

This is English Staffordshire and dates to the period 1868- 1883 when Japanese design (the faux bamboo corners, rim and ring handles) as well as floral decoration (painted with as much botanical accuracy as possible) were both prominent features of the so-called Aesthetic Movement which was the height of fashion at this time and of which your planter is a perfect example.

The anchor mark with SB & Son belongs to Sampson Bridgwood & Son who operated the Anchor Pottery at Longton near Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

The other raised, kite-shaped tab is a British Design registry lozenge which records the date when the design (in this case the unique shape of the planter) was first registered and which acted like a copyright or patent.

The details of the date, material and other factors are encoded in the various letters and numbers on the tab. Unfortunately, it's too filled with glaze to be readable. The large R in the center is the same on all of them, it's actually an "Rd" short for "Registered" but we do know for certain that this particular kite mark was used for only a short 15 year period from 1868-1883.

As for value, this is quite a remarkable old survivor now well over 130 years old. Unfortunately in this case, age does not seem to be a much of a factor when it comes to value. Having said that, there is a modest following for English Aesthetic Movement china and this is a very nice example of that. So if you were to see it for sale in an antique store it would be priced at $250 retail. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good local auction or on line (eBaye etc).

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you your answers are always so thoughtful and well researched I appreciate your hard work thank you again

You're very welcome, thank YOU! as always. And if you’d like my help in future on any other item, please don’t hesitate to ask. Just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.
Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser