Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Morning Ms Diana F. Attached are 2 oriental items. The first…

Morning Ms Diana F. Attached...
Morning Ms Diana F. Attached are 2 oriental items. The first is a large round oriental wall plaque that is in mint (I never like using mint) but this one is) condition. It is 30 inches in diameter and has no markings on back. The second is 4 hand painted oriental panels - size 4' x 3' when put together. Once again no markings on back or front. Please assist. Gary
DSCN9570.JPGDSCN9570.JPGDSCN9571.JPGDSCN9571.JPGDSCN9572.JPGDSCN9572.JPGDSCN9573.JPGDSCN9573.JPGDSCN9574.JPGDSCN9574.JPGDSCN9575.JPGDSCN9575.JPGDSCN9576.JPGDSCN9576.JPGDSCN9577.JPGDSCN9577.JPGDSCN9580.JPGDSCN9580.JPGDSCN9582.JPGDSCN9582.JPG
11/15/2017
Angela--Mod
I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Thank you for your patience.
Best,
Angela
Senior Moderator
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hey! Good Morning. I hope you're doing well.

.

I'll be glad to take a look at these. =)

~Diana

Hi.

.

While not my particular style, these are both pretty. I'm always amazed as inlay work. It's so hard to pull off and is such a fantastic artistic skill.
.
The first piece is a round black lacquer wall plaque with inlay. It looks like the inlay features mother of pearl and abalone along with what looks like some other small stones as accents. It features Geisha-like figures dancing along a mountainous backdrop.
.
While the art pretty much was developed in China, you can find similarly styles and imagery coming out of Korea, China and Japan pretty evenly. This is especially true by the later 20th century pieces when it became more a decorative art that was exported to us.
.
I find that most, like yours, are typically Japanese. Given the style and that handpainted and inlay geometric border, it likely date to about the 1960s/1970s. I can see why you called it mint. From what I can tell it doesn't even look like it has any scuffs in the lacquer.
.
In that condition, it should be worth about $125 to $175.
.
Your second piece is an Chinese gold lacquered 4 panel screen with birds. Unlike some of the other panels and screens, this style is carved rather than relying on inlay. It's generally called kuan cai, which translates to "incised colors".
.
For that method, a wooden base is coated with layers upon layers of dark lacquer and then polished. It's hand carved down through the colors to reveal the picture. A number of collectors and sellers tend to call them Coromandel lacquer because of their origin. It's a reference to items that were mainly made for export and were shipped to the "Western" markets via the Coromandel coast of south-east India, where companies like Dutch East Indies controlled much of the market. The name doesn't really apply anymore, but you know how some terms stick with collectors.
.
While I don't think it's one of antique 19th century pieces, I do think it likely dates to about the 1940s. The condition looks fantastic. I don't seen any damage to the finish or paint. I also don't see any signs where someone might have touched up flaws.
.
Honestly, given the age and the quality of that piece, it'll be worth about $500 to $600. I would definitely try selling it for that. You can always drop the price if doesn't sell fast enough, but you can't get it back if it goes too low.
.
Someone could easily add feet to it and make it small divider if they didn't want to hang it on the wall.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi Gary.

Thank you so much for. I really appreciate it.

~Diana