Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

10/22/2017
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

Hi there! Welcome back.

Have you taken a good magnifying glass very close to the darkest areas of the piece? If not, please do, and look for tiny white spots?

Kind regards,

Doris

There is a line of tiny white spots on rt of canvas and almost looks like a cross at the end of them.

Are there very tiny white spots all over the painting in the dark areas?

there are but you have to look really close to see them.

Is the piece on canvas?

When oil paint is used, a brush stroke of color often leaves a ridge of extra paint along the edges of the stroke.

Your canvas probably feels a bit rough? If so, see if the ridges match up with the color brush strokes.

Just a little rough. And yes you can feel some of the ridges very faintly.

But do those ridges match the brush stroke colors shown in the piece?

Prints can be done on textured canvas imitating oil paintings. Tiny white spots throughout usually means you have a print.

For the sake of assessing a value, I will assume this is an oil painting but you should take it to a reputable local framer to be sure it is not a print on textured canvas.

I have been researching the signature. I have tried numerous variations of the letters in the signature. Unfortunately, I could not locate a listed/known artist that signed pieces in this manner. Again, I searched through the 6 artist directories I use.

We then must value this piece as being by an unlisted/unknown artist.

As decorators' art, this 19thC piece has an estimated retail value of $450-650.

I truly wish I had better news.

Again,

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser