Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have an old painting from venezuela on thin. Painted by…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old painting from venezuela on thin wood. Painted by Jesus soto. I know he has done some paintings in the past. Brian..

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I found the picture on google after 3 hours of searching to confirm it was from this country.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

There is some paint flaking, but minor. It is a village in the mountains of Venezuela. And you can tell it was painted by a master.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appraisals
I have sent you some pictures. It is painted on thin wood. Painted by Jesus Soto
IMG_20170927_144519020_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144513530.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144537079_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144605260_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144555515_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144528139_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144621687_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144549884_HDR.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170927_144513530.jpgIMG_201...jpg
10/2/2017
Appraiser: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the back of your framed piece.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Brian,

I studied Jesús Raphael Soto's style of painting and signature. Neither matches his work. See the following images as illustrations.

As a painting by an unknown artist, this piece has an estimated retail value of $$350-450.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Correction: I am a one finger typist.

Brian,I studied Jesús Raphael Soto's style of painting and signature. Neither matches this work. I truly wish I had better news about this painting.Kind regards,Doris
Thank you Doris that was pretty quick
Just so you're aware I've been studying Picasso 4 months and when he was younger his signature on his pictures is different than it is now. And I have found a few other signatures under Google pictures of Jesus Soto's signature of the word Soto that is pretty close to the painting. Just to share with you
You did not even give me approximate age that would have been helpful or maybe even some insight of Aging based on being painted on wood or canvas and how it takes effect on the paint

Most of my customers want to validate their paintings and know value.

Paintings on wood have been created for many hundreds of years and still are today. The paint condition is not so much based on the age of the painting as it is on the environmental conditions the painting has been kept in.

It is very difficult to tell the age of this type of painting without viewing it in person, especially one in this style and where the signature of a famous artist has been copied. However, no one would have chosen to use the artist's name unless the artist had already become well-known and his paintings were already selling for high prices.

Jesus Soto dates 1923 - 2005. His work was best recognized by mid-century - 1950s-60s. This painting was probably created around 1960s-70s.

If you would like an assessment onsite where an appraiser can view the piece in person, please tell me a large city near you. I might be able to locate someone for you. Please know such appraisers charge minimum fees often $250-350.

Again, I truly wish I had better news.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you I'll be getting a second third and fourth opinion

Perhaps one of those might have better news.

Best wishes,

Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser