Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have eight leather duck decoys and would like to know

Customer Question
I have eight leather...

I have eight leather duck decoys and would like to know their value.They are all the same; variegated browns and greys with glass eyes. They measure 13" from tip of tail to tip of beak and 5" wide at widest part of belly.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The beak and belly look to have been either grey or green at one time. In places where the leather has chipped away, it almost looks like a type of oil cloth.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appraisals
10/1/2017
Appraiser: Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is Jon. I will do my best to help. Do you have any pictures of your decoys?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Jon

I can take some and forward them via email. Is there a specific email I can send them to? Thanks, Jon

Here is the best way to get a photo to me.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on the link below for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing the images.

Thank you,

Jon

Hi Jon. Thank you for trying to help me. I am currently undergoing kemo and radiation and just have a really hard time with this. Thank you for your efforts. Dina

I an sorry to hear that. If it would be easier, I can give you an email address that you can send pictures ( it just takes a little longer). I it is too hard for you do take some pictures, I can give you some general price information that may help. Just let me know how I can help

Photos posted on customer behalf:
IMG_20171006_092847204.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171006_092853406.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171006_092907473.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171006_092922094.jpgIMG_201...jpg
Appraiser: Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago

I am really not sure on this one. Let me open it up for the other experts to take a look at.

Appraiser: Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser

Good Morning

Maybe I can help you with this. Are any of your ducks signed by the maker?

Glenda

No, they are not. They belonged to a gentleman that would now be about 90 years old. I'm helping his son clean out the family home and found them in a box in the basement.I would guess they are from the 30s or 40s

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.

The Antique Leather Duck Decoy, early 20th C, with Glass eyes have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $650.00-750.00 each, if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $300.00-325.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $750.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $750.00 each
.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer.

This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda
.

Hello

Is these anything else I can help you with on this, if not a rating is much appreciated, this is the only way we are compensated for our time.

Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.