Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have an old -Cola vending machine I would like to get an…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old Coca-Cola vending machine I would like to get an appraisal for. I’m not sure how to upload the pictures.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I need to upload the pictures for you to look at.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don’t know. I just need to know how to upload the pictures for her to appraise.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appraisals
9/30/2017
Appraiser: Diana F., Antiques Expert replied 7 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

That looks to be in fantastic condition. It's was made by the Vendrolator company, though you'll usually find them called by their shortened name, VMC. They along with Vendo were two the biggest producers of vending machines during the midcentury and eventually they wound merging.

.

What you have is an old 149 Model with a black and silver data plate. The 149 was one of their larger machines that use their neat carousel, drum type of system. The models actually tell you just how many bottles they hold. In your case, it holds 149. The design as patented in in 1943, which does give you a rough idea of the date. Based on the serial and data, it should date to the late 1940s to very early 1950s.

.

Given the condition I see and assuming it has all the internal parts, it should be worth about $500 to $700 at auction and about $800 to $1000 in a private sale. It would have an insurance value of $1200.

.

If by chance you ever think about selling it, you should know that the price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight and I know a lot of buyers aren't necessarily willing to pay full value of something and then pay a ton for shipping too. So, in many cases you would have to factor shipping cost into what you might be able to sell it for.

.

While I'm not a huge fan, there is always craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places

.

I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.

If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, uship, cratesandfreighters, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. If you consider doing a pickup only, you can also list it with online antique shops like Rubylane, Etsy, Charish, or GoAntiques.
.
That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great evening.
.
~Diana

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? I noticed that you have not rated my answer.
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my work and my answer if you rate me. Rating me does not cost you anything extra, so it would be very much appreciated.

.

.

.

Thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert