Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I bought a four piece sterling grand baroque for 700.00 in…

Customer Question
Hi I bought a...

Hi I bought a four piece sterling grand baroque for 700.00 in 1988. The company I bought it from was ross simon. I do not see a 925 on it. The condition is good. Ive used it maybe 5 times and I have not kept it in a special container. How much do you thing it i9s worth these days??

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No. I havent polished it in a year or so, so I simply dont know if there is tarnish that permanent. Is that possible? Im using a cloth right now andf it is not doing much.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Appraisals
9/20/2017
Appraiser: Diana F., Antiques Expert replied 9 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Is it the Grande Baroque pattern by Wallace Silver? By four piece do you mean, Dinner Fork, Salad Fork, spoon and dinner knife? How many of each do you have?

Thanks,
Diana

Hi, I believe it is exactly the wallace pattern. I looked again and counted. I have six 5piece settings.
Minute scratches.

Hi. Great. Thanks.

.

What I show for a traditional 5 piece place setting is Dinner Forks, Salad forks, knives, soup spoons and place spoons. Is that what you have?

~Diana

Hi, The pieces say Wallace Sterling on the back. no 925. Dinner fork, salad fork, place spoon,knife.
Yikes, I am so wrong. They are 4 piece settings
six sets of four place settings

Thank you! That's okay. lol. That's why I always ask. I know when I'm counting up mine I have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it right. I just figure everyone else probably has as much trouble as me. Thanks!

.

I can actually give you the values individually and as a whole set:

.

Dinner Forks - $125 to $145 each

Salad forks $70 to $80 each

knives - $50 to $60 each

place spoons $110 to $125 each

.

As a whole set for 6, it should have a value around $2000 to $2500. It would have an insurance value of $3500.

.

This should get everything, but if I missed anything or if you think your dad might have something else, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can.
.
I broke it down individually because sometimes you can get a higher value by selling it individually rather than as a whole set...but it does take much longer to do that. It just depends on how fast you would like to sell it.

.
Prices will also vary a bit depending on the condition of the pieces and where you try to sell them. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be great alternatives to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. On the plus side, they do get the "higher" paying customers.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.
There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale, though I think the values aren't quite as high as you can get elsewhere. The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I would definitely consider contacting any high end jewelry stores you have near you. You really want someone who deals with estate jewelry and silver. High end jewelry stores deal a lot in silver and high quality flatware. They can help you sell or, if you wish, help you with the "melt" value. As much as I would hate to see it melted down, it's really worth talking a to buyer about the melt value. I would talk 3 different ones, so you can compare their values.
.
As far as online goes, http://midwestrefineries.com/ tend to have the best rates. They typically pay out around about 85% of melt value. You pay the shipping, but their payout is really fair.
.
I know most don't want to think about melting their silver, but it does make for quick return.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Just making sure those prices are for sterling but not 925...so they are plated??

Hi. Those prices are for sterling. Wallace's Grande Baroque has only been offered in sterling since it was first produced in the 40s. It was never offered in silverplate.

.

~Diana

Appraiser: Diana F., Antiques Expert replied 8 months ago

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? I noticed that you have not rated my answer.
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my work and my answer if you rate me. Rating me does not cost you anything extra, so it would be very much appreciated.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

Thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
~Diana