Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

What can you tell me about an Imperial non magnetic pocket…

Customer Question
What can you tell...

What can you tell me about an Imperial non magnetic pocket watch? It has the number

Expert's Assistant: I throw away my watch whenever it stops moving. Some people love fixing timepieces. Differences like that make the world go round I guess - maybe that's clockwork too. Please tell me everything you can so the Clock Technician can help you best.

It has the number 906141 on the case and also has Buren Co. On the inside. It has 7 jewels and is engraved with the date Jan 30-17

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Clock Technician should know?

That's it. Any assistance is appreciated.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Appraisals
9/20/2017
Appraiser: ncsunburst, High School or GED replied 11 months ago
ncsunburst
ncsunburst, High School or GED

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. I'm a member of NAWCC The National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors. If you can give me the serial number off the movement I can give you the history of the watch such as when it was made , how many were made etc. also if you can please post a photo of the watch and the markings so I can give you an accurate evaluation. Thanks Mike

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
PLEASE remember if you're satisfied with my answer rate my answer
by using the STARS so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.

From 1899 to 1932, Buren was the Swiss factory of H. Williamson, Ltd, an English company. Williamson, bought a watch factory in Switzerland and created the Buren Watch Company. A number of models in standard sizes were offered. Ads in the 1920's proclaimed Buren to be "The Perfect Watch" and boasted of the linking up of Swiss watch manufacturing with British Enterprise and Capital. This came to an end during the Great Depression and Buren came to be an independent Swiss firm. This occurred in 1932 when the employees bought the plant and it became The Buren Watch Co., Switzerland. On March 1, 1966 Buren Watch Co. was acquired by the Hamilton Watch Co. and the Swiss factory became Buren Watch Hamilton. Production came to an end in 1972.

H​I, If you would like a value of the watch I would need to know if the watch is gold or gold filled so I can give you an accurate value in today's market. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

I'd like to know more about the history please.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

HI, Yes the number 906141 is the serial number of the watch case, the date Jan 30-17​ being engraved is when the watch was presented to the owner of the watch. (non-magnetic) watches are those that are able to run with minimal deviation when exposed to a certain level of magnetic field. The International Organization of Standardization issued a standard for magnetic resistant watches, which many countries have adopted. Jewels serve two purposes in a watch. First, reduced friction can increase accuracy. Friction in the wheel train bearings and the escapement causes slight variations in the impulses applied to the balance wheel, causing variations in the rate of timekeeping. The low, predictable friction of jewel surfaces reduces these variations. Second, they can increase the life of the bearings. In unjeweled bearings, the pivots of the watch's wheels rotate in holes in the plates supporting the movement. The sideways force applied by the driving gear causes more pressure and friction on one side of the hole. In some of the wheels, the rotating shaft can eventually wear away the hole until it is oval shaped, and the watch stops. Your watch has 7 jewels that act like bearings. Imperial Watch Company, was formed at La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland in 1875, exported Swiss watches in the 1920s (importer was Bayer,Pretzfelder & Mills of New York). Many watches of this period were marked both Buren Watch Co. and Imperial on the plates an associated company Louis Goering registered the name Imperial in 1890. The watch case is known as "rolled gold" or "rolled gold plate" is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass. ​In today's market the value in good running condition is $225.00 to excellent running condition $350.00. I hope this helps you. Thanks Mike

for helping you.

Hi, I was wondering if you need further assistance with your watch? Thanks Mike

by using the stars so I will be compensated by JustAnswer
for helping you.