Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have some Old Master Sterling flatware in pristine

Customer Question
I have some Old...

I have some Old Master Sterling flatware in pristine condition. 12 kn. 12 forks 12 salad 11 iced 1 cocktail/oyster 1 pie cake server 1 gravy serving ladle 1 sugar server.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

So what do I do

Expert's Assistant: Some old shoes of my mother's. They'd been handed down and were real 1920's dancing shoes. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

What

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appraisals
9/7/2017
Appraiser: Diana F., Antiques Expert replied 8 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Old Master was made by Towle starting in the 1940s. I can give you the value of the pieces individually as well as the value as a whole set

.

12 knives - $40 to $50 each

12 forks - $100 to $125 each

12 salad forks - $75 to $90 each

11 iced tea spoons - $35 to $45 each

1 cocktail/oyster - $25 to $35

1 pie cake server -$75 to $85

1 gravy serving ladle $70 to $80

1 sugar server. $20 to $30

.

As a whole set, it should have a value around $2900 to $3300.

.

This should get everything, but if I missed anything or if you think your dad might have something else, don't hesitate to ask. I'll do whatever I can.
.
I broke it down individually because sometimes you can get a higher value by selling it individually rather than as a whole set...but it does take much longer to do that. It just depends on how fast you would like to sell it.

.
Prices will also vary a bit depending on the condition of the pieces and where you try to sell them. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be great alternatives to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. On the plus side, they do get the "higher" paying customers.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.
There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I would definitely consider contacting any high end jewelry stores you have near you. You really want someone who deals with estate jewelry and silver. High end jewelry stores deal a lot in silver and high quality flatware. They can help you sell or, if you wish, help you with the "melt" value. As much as I would hate to see it melted down, it's really worth talking a to buyer about the melt value. I would talk 3 different ones, so you can compare their values.
.
As far as online goes, http://midwestrefineries.com/ tend to have the best rates. They typically pay out around about 85% of melt value. You pay the shipping, but their payout is really fair.
.
I know most don't want to think about melting their silver, but it does make for quick return.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great afternoon.
~Diana

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? I noticed that you have not rated my answer.
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my work and my answer if you rate me. Rating me does not cost you anything extra, so it would be very much appreciated.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

Thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert