Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have what I believe is an 1850's vintage lap desk that…

I have what I believe...
I have what I believe is an 1850's vintage lap desk that according to my best recollection my grandmother told me belonged to a Civil War officer on her side of the family. From information I have already found online, the lap desk has a paper mache' overlay on its top with a mother of pearl decorative inlay. It has one ink well and a writing pen inside. On one side in the back the mounting screw for the hinge has pulled out of the wood back and the back has some minor damage confined to that spot. The lock on the front is intact, but there is no key with the desk. Attached are some recent photos of the desk.
Antique Laptop Desk - cl...jpgAntique...jpgDesk - end view (Medium).jpgDesk -...jpgBack view - closed (Medi...jpgBack vi...jpgFront view - closed (Med...jpgFront v...jpgLaptop desk - open 2 (Me...jpgLaptop...jpgLaptop desk - open close...jpgLaptop...jpgLaptop desk - open - inn...jpgLaptop...jpgDesk top - closed (Medium).jpgDesk to...jpg
8/18/2017
Rarewares
Rarewares, Other

This is a 1850 to 1865 papier mache and mother of pearl inlay lap desk

with lock, inkwell,pen tray, and velvet writing surface. Damage to

the outside finish from heat and/or moisture.

The value of the desk in this condition is $250 to $300 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Rarewares
Rarewares, Other