Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have a rocking chair that was my grandmothers. the paper…

I have a rocking...

I have a rocking chair that was my grandmothers.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The paper label on the bottom says Northern Furniture Company, New London, WI. Written on it is the number 112060 (I think)

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appraiser should be aware of?

It has a full back, full seat, carved detail on the area from the arms to the floor. It was stained a dark walnut color.

8/17/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser

Hello

Can you send a picture of this?

Glenda

I can. Give me a minute. :)

Ok thanks

No idea what the wood is, and can't find much on the Northern Furniture company in New London, Wis. I know as a kid I would sit on the arm of the chair. that would be around 60 years ago.
hello?

Hello

What a beautiful Chair, it was produced By: Northern Furniture Company Northern Furniture Company
Sheboygan, New London​ Wisconsin: , The Northern Furniture Company was founded in 1881 by George B. Mattoon in Sheboygan, Wisconsin; (although the company at that time known as the Mattoon Manufacturing company up until Mattoon's death in 1904). In 1916, the company was bought by the Reiss Coal Company, and from that point on the firm manufactured a large number of popular bookcases, buffets, tables and desks up until 1949, during which the company went through yet another name change to R-Way Furniture.

.

The chair is appears to be Oak. It Dates to the late 1800's, early 1900

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) It is not for any issues due to the site policy or procedures. Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
The Antique Chair has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $***-**-****.00 , if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $1100.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $1100.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Thank you Glenda! It is an awesome chair, and I will be keeping it. I thought it might be oak. Had no idea it would be valued at this price. Awesome response and appraisal!
Glenda B.
Glenda B.