Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have an oil painting and I'm trying to find out anything

Hi. I have an oil...
Hi. I have an oil painting and I'm trying to find out anything about it - it's stretched on an ancient built marked frame
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: It's on a anco bilt framed I meant
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: It oil portrait of an old man with a beard and is marked in the left hand bottom corner philips
8/17/2017
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, Owner & CEO of Rare-Era.com

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s, UK. I can assist you with this with information about the painting and frame you mention however, I'll need you to upload a couple of photos to the system for my review.

Have you ever submitted photos to this system before? If not, here's a few pointers:

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper-clip"icon found in the toolbar you see on your reply page, .jpeg and .jpgs formats work best. An additional explanation of this method can be found here

If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.

If these methods are not working to your satisfaction, then please call the JustAnswer help service desk [email protected]***-***-****.

You have me curious and I look forward to assisting you,

Erin-Marie

Hi Erin. I hope you can see what you need to see with the attached photos. Thank you for your help - Connie
IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0027.JPGIMG_0027.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0028.JPG

Dear Connie,

Thank you for submitting these photos, they have come through perfectly! If you will please give me the evening to conduct research for you I will follow up with your evaluation tomorrow.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Dear Connie,

Thank you so much for your patience and your excellent photography skills, allow me to tell you a little more about the piece. The gentleman on the face of the painting has been rendered in the Renaissance style popular in the mid 16th century, however, the gilded wood frame, stretcher bars (the wood the canvas is wrapped around) and canvas back indicate that this piece was made in the mid-20th century.

I've looked through several artist's databases and while there are several with the last name 'Philip', none conform to this style and time frame so the artist's works have not been represented on the secondary market yet. In these cases, determining value becomes about comparing the attributes and similarities of your painting to others which have come to market. Here are a few of the pieces I used as a basis of comparison to determine value.

This piece, sold at auction in Jan. 2017 for $187.50USD is a tad older than yours but in style is quite similar. There is also this oil on canvas which sold for $157.30USD. This example is also from the late 19th c, which sold for $93.60USD. This photos of this piece are a great example of what canvas and stretcher bars over 100 years old should look like.

Based on these and other comparisons I would estimate your piece to sell in the $100USD at auction. This would place it closer to the $200 range in a gallery setting, although this can fluctuate greatly depending on regional variations and the owner's whims.

If this evaluation has given rise to additional questions about the piece, please let me know I am happy to answer any questions regarding this which you may have. Otherwise, I hope this impartial evaluation will be of assistance to you.

Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, thus, your 5-star rating at the conclusion of our correspondence is most appreciated.

If you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Erin-Marie..." in the subject line and I will be happy to assist you.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Hi Erin. Thank you for your information. My only concern is that the signature on the painting is philips with an "s" could that made a difference in your findings. Thank you Connie

Hi Connie,

Argh! My most sincere apologies, that was a typo error on my part, 'Philips' is the name I was researching... Let me see if I can go back into he thread and correct this...

Erin-Marie

Unfortunately the system will not let me into the past posts to edit my typo.

That's ok. As long as it was the correct person you were researching - also why would a painter sign the left side bottom instead of right hand bottom

This is a good question, and it deserves a good answer. My first degree is a Bachelor's of Fine art and I remember having a class discussion on how to correctly sign artwork. The answer being that, while the lower right side is traditionally used in contemporary times, there is no 'wrong' way to sign. Signing in an unusual spot can be a matter of simple choice (i.e. a left handed artist would find it easier to sign the left side of the canvas); several artists sign the back of the work, in the belief that the signature should not detract from the image. There are guidelines of what an artist should do, but most artists are more swayed by personal choice.

A little simplified history on signatures in artwork in general.... Going to the Medieval and Renaissance period (15th c. - 16th c.) most artists wouldn't have ever thought of signing their work because it was considered a highly skilled trade, like a stone mason or architect. As the personal celebrity of artists separated them from their fellow tradesmen (after all they were depicting the celebrities of their time, like a Renaissance People magazine), it became a matter of vanity for the artist and collector/commissioner of the work to be able to state who painted it. Thus, by the 19th century most artists were signing their work somewhere, while lower right was most common it wasn't all encompassing, for example, many of Van Gogh's works are signed in the upper left corner, (in my opinion it is totally odd looking) but it was his choice.

You thoughts?

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Thank you for your answer explained well

Thank you for your positive feedback! It is really a great question and Iwas happy to have had the chance to answer it for you.

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace