Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I HAVE AN OLD FRAMED PRINT THAT SAYS ON BOTTOM LEFT.. 1955

Customer Question
I HAVE AN OLD FRAMED...
I HAVE AN OLD FRAMED PRINT THAT SAYS ON BOTTOM LEFT..
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: 1955 DONALD ART CO. N.Y. No 2282
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: in the right corner it says made in US there is a piece of old news paper ated 1955 undernath tghe paper at back of frame.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Appraisals
I have 2 of them they go together. One is an abstract damsel sitting in front of castle. The other is ? A mid century gentleman?
Can u see the photos??
8/6/2017
Appraiser: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 3 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to hep you. I see one photo on my end the lady sitting aside the castle. Id there another photo also of the gentleman?

Is this for real or a scam
Appraiser: Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Good Morning

Maybe I can help you, here is the history of the Donald Art Company. Courtesy of the Website:

This is your answer please read entirely. Please rate after reading, thanks
.

HISTORY OF THE COMPANY

It's been said that the Donald Art Company was the most successful of all the art publishing companies in the 1900's. They sold millions of prints to retail and wholesale outlets, in the USA as well as internationally. Their litho prints are easy to recognize because they were signed with the full company name (Donald Art Co.) or an abbreviation: D.A.C., NY.

I've seen DAC litho prints that go back as far as the 1950's so that's possibly an indication of when the company began. In fact, much of the company's history can be traced by searching their prints for clues.

Some of the DAC lithos printed in the 1950's say, "Donald Art Co., Inc. Port Chester, N.Y." They were actually located in Rye Brook which was on the outskirts of Port Chester. (Or, they may have purchased the property in Rye Brook later on.)

Donald Bonnist was the owner and founder of the Donald Art Company. He apparently retired in 1984. An article in the New York Times states, "The Donald Art Building at 90 South Ridge Street in Rye Brook, N.Y., sold for $4.5 million in 1984. The 70,000- square-foot structure on 3.38 acres served as an office, factory and warehouse for the Donald Art Company. It was converted into prime office space with parking for 200 cars."

The building was sold in 1984 and it seems that the company may have been sold as well. I've seen art prints from 1987 that say the company was located in Connecticut: "1987 Donald Art Co, Inc CT NO. 50803."

The Library of Congress lists 1110 prints that were copyrighted by the Donald Art Company from 1978 to 1992, so DAC continued publishing even after the building in New York was sold. It seems that the new owners of the Donald Art Company may have ceased publishing in 1992 (or stopped registering their copyrights.)

The Donald Art Company apparently moved from Connecticut to Florida in 1994. The Florida Annual Business Report lists the Donald Art Company:

DONALD ART CO
DELAND, FL

Your prints date to the 1950's,

The Prints have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $100.00-125.00 each, if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $65.00-75.00 , if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $125.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $100.00-110.00 each
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top right of the page.( scroll all the way back to the top of page ) Or you may see review expert or rate expert, you can click on that. This is the only way I get credit for my work.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer. This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda
.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.