Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, Owner & CEO of Rare-Era.com
Experience:  Sotheby's Institute, UK Trained Appraiser & Auctioneer
98724554

Can you tell me anything about this painting- If it valuable

Customer Question

Can you tell me anything about this painting- If it valuable or not
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Is this under glass?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Please send the size in inches and additional photos requested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is appr 20 inches by 16 inches
Expert:  Doris replied 2 months ago.

Please send a photo of the signature.

Expert:  Erin-Marie Wallace replied 2 months ago.

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s, UK. I see you have requested a new professional and I believe I can assist you with this assessing this piece of art.

Based on the photos that you have submitted here is my assessment. Because the piece is behind glass and because the double mat is resting directly on the image rather than being spaced away from it, I believe this to be a print of an oil painting rather than an original painting. Because of the nature of oil paintings, it is unusual to have them behind glass (as this traps moisture and can cause mold and damage to the canvas and pigments). In addition to this most oil paintings are not matted, again because it can damage the painting.

As a print of a painting, which appears to be an off-set lithograph, this piece has a decorative rather than collectible value which generally would place it below $100USD. Exactly where will depend upon regional variations, for example in general, New York prices are higher than those in rural Virginia.

I hope this impartial evaluation will be of assistance to you. If I can answer any additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, your 5-starrating at the conclusion of our correspondence is most appreciated.

If you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Erin-Marie..." in the subject line and I will be happy to assist you.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie