Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have an oil painting purchased by my parents in Frankfurt,

Germany in 1952. It was...
I have an oil painting purchased by my parents in Frankfurt, Germany in 1952. It was purchased from a man on the street. My parents did not speak his language. No exchange of info took place. No frame. Paid very little. My mother had picture framed in Monterey, Ca in1954. Hung in their living room since then. Looks like a Nickoli Astudin 'Rudesheim'but different. Thought it was a copy. Signature is not legible to me. Not Astudin. Has the old nail holes through the canvas. Makes me think it is not a 50's copy. Any ideas of how to date and identify painter?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: So you think best to have it seen live?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: That's all I know
1/4/2017
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do tomorrow.

At your convenience, no rush. There is a not a time limit here.

If I do not respond immediately, it is because I am not at my computer. Please rest assured that I will attend to your postings as soon as I am signed back in again.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I removed back of picture. It is apparent the canvas was removed from original stretcher and re stretched, then stapled. There are no nail holes in stretcher frame. My mother doesn't know if this was done when she had it framed in 1954. The back of pic was covered. The left side of painting appears to have been trimmed.
IMG_1317.JPGIMG_1317.JPGIMG_1319.JPGIMG_1319.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1325.JPGIMG_1325.JPGIMG_1327.JPGIMG_1327.JPGIMG_1332.JPGIMG_1332.JPGIMG_1336.JPGIMG_1336.JPGIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1334.JPG

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Please add an image that shows the entire backside of the frame/picture.

~Nora

In picture 336 - it looks like old canvas is nailed on the outside frame and not the same as the canvas stapled to the stretcher frame? Is that what you are referring to as having old nails?

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The old nail holes through the canvas are not attached to any part of frame or stretcher. There are not any nail holes in the frame or stretcher which would indicate the canvas was attached to current stretcher.

Hi There,

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you have no opinion on this picture?
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review your photos. I have a few questions... What are the measurements of the painting and do you know at all what the signature is? I have been trying to decipher the signature and now am doing through the artists to see if I can find the artist and make out the signature. I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The picture is about 24 x28. I am at work and would have to measure. As far as the signature, I don't know. Possibly not a German name. Another language? What was common around Frankfurt? This painting is very similar to Nikolai von Astudin's painting of Rudesheim in which he painted between 1883 and his death in the early 1900s. I would wonder if these artists sat at the same site and painted the same scene. Or just a tweaked copy of his work. The old nail holes through the canvas make me think this painting was painted before the 1920's or earlier. I have been trying to research Astudin and his painting Rudesheim to see if he painted it with other artists around him. The staples through the canvas were placed by a frame shop when my parents had the picture framed in Monterey, ca. It was placed on a new stretcher bar and stapled.

Hello thank you for your patience this has been a unique painting. I can not find the artist however after going over several artists and paintings throughout museums and auctions I believe this painting to be German done and 1890-1910s period. By the size and quality of the painting the value is $120--1500.00 and you are correct this has been re-stretched and framed. The holes look to have been done by square nails on the original stretcher board. This would be correct also in the age of the painting. The painting itself is consists of a farmer gathering legumes from the shore and has a plank still from boat to land to walk on the boat further up has a man in uniform sitting and a rower behind to cruise the bank and probably headed to the main land ahead. Very nice painting. Well taken care of and appears to be in excellent condition for the age.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser