Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

Baby grand Kimball #383214 black

Customer Question
baby grand Kimball #383214 black
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appraisals
11/15/2016
Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago
pianoandmusic

Thanks for your question. My name is***** to JustAnswer and it will be my pleasure to help you.

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? When was the last tuning?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello again. I see that you have not viewed my information request - it could be that you did not receive the Email to advise you that the information request is on here waiting for you. So I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. If it is a problem with getting the pictures and putting them on here, I can continue without them if that is easier for you. Thank you. John.

Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago

Thank you for coming back to me. I see that you have requested a live phone call. Just to let you know that because invariably, to complete an appraisal on musical instruments, it requires considerable research in documents, files, records, books and on web pages, I am therefore not able to complete Live Phone Calls because it is not practical to do the research at the same time and often it may also require you to find information such as numbers and to do measurements on the instrument.

I can complete this for you on here with a full written appraisal, with a little more information from you please as in my initial information request. Please let me know if you wish to continue on here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Call please
Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago

I am sorry but I am unable to call you right now. John

Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello again.

I will assume that your piano has been fairly regularly tuned and except for tuning and the associated maintenance with tunings it is essentially as originally built. If it is any different please let me know and I can then asses if it changes the valuation I have given.

From the maker’s records the serial number gives a year of build for your Piano of 1930, so it is in the order of 86 years old.

Generally Pianos have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular, usually at least annually, maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the age and condition of the internal mechanics.

Based on the information I have, your Kimball Baby Grand Piano now has a value in the region of $1,900 to $2,400 for a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Also by completing the rating star system it will stop the continual rating reminder emails you would receive from this site.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of the same or very similar sales. Owners of musical instruments often have a very sincerely ***** ***** that their ‘pride and joy’ is particularly valuable and sometimes it is, but musical instruments unfortunately generally depreciate with age and/or changes in technology. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Call please
Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 1 year ago

The premium phone call service has now expired but as I explained before, I am sorry but I am not able to call you. Please see my written appraisal as shown above. Thank you. John

pianoandmusic
pianoandmusic
pianoandmusic