Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

Looking to get an appraisal on a couch

Customer Question

Looking to get an appraisal on a couch
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It belonged to my great grandmothers grandmother. It was originally upholstered in horse hair.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This isCustomerand I would love to help.

This is a circa 1930-1940's upholstered and wood carved arm sofa with claw feet and carved bird arms.

Most furniture companies in the US offered a form in this style in a red or green mohair (velvet) fabric, so it would be impossible to know exact maker.

The value of this couch is $300 to $400.00 retail.

Some sites that I recommend are Varagesale.com, Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't have any appraisers close
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I answered above, I will add it again here in case you did not see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has to be older than 1930. My grandmother was born in 1930 and it was her great grandmother's. It was first done in Horse hair than reupholstered into velvet and what it is now.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Of course it could be older. Since there are no marks or labels, we go with the most likely time period.

The couch could go back as early as 1915 (it would be no older than that), but this shape and carving was most popular in

the 1930's. Based on your family's timeline, then, you could say the couch is circa 1915. This does not add anything to the price

as this style is remaining at $300 to $400 as an antique carved and upholstered sofa.