Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have an antique buddah statue over a hundred years old

with jewels inlay all over...
i have an antique buddah statue over a hundred years old with jewels inlay all over it and gold it stands 14 inches high and is very very heavy. need an appraisial please
9/23/2016
Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Certified Appraiser

Hi, my name is Jennifer.I"m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

If you can upload a photo, I'm happy to take a look for you. As detailed as your description is, I really do need to see an image. The design and appearance are very crucial to value.

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Are there any marks, stamps or labels on the underside of the base?

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im un certain on how to send the pictures, i can email them to your email address with no problem if you could give me the information please. and yes there is a mark on the bottom but i cant make it out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok so how can i email her the requested photos
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
may i please get a response
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im still standing by
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, my name is Tanya I am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please email the photos of the Buddha to***@******.*** and in the email please put "for ladytanya65" the company will in turn forward the photos on to me. I look forward to seeing this piece. Please photograph the front, back, and bottom of the Buddha. This will help and I will be able to tell you about the Buddha and give current value .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok here those pictures are again
SUNP0002.JPGSUNP0002.JPGSUNP0003.JPGSUNP0003.JPGSUNP0004.JPGSUNP0004.JPGSUNP0005.JPGSUNP0005.JPGSUNP0006.JPGSUNP0006.JPG

thank you for the photos please allow me to review them and post back here shortly.

on the last photo sunp0006.jpg what is the photo of ? the photo is blurry and I can make it out clearly what I am seeing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is the stamp on the bottom and i couldnt make it out either

I will opt out for another expert to help I cannot find an exact comparable nor the current value on a Buddha as this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im just wondering how long i should standby for the experts appraisial
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im still waiting for the expert to actually appraise and respond. im just wondering what the eta is going to be. thank you
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser

Hi Tami,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your figure.

You are quite right, this is a valuable piece and extremely rare, especially in this large 14 inch size. However, in order to tell you exactly how valuable, and to give you the most accurate value range, I'm going to need sharp, clear photos of the following:

1. A full frontal shot showing the whole figure.
  2. A full shot of the back showing the whole figure.
  3. A full shot of the entire base.
  4. A clear photo of the impressed mark.

[Use the strongest possible light (but not flash) you can find, preferably daylight shining onto the subject over your shoulder as you take the photo].

Also, is there an impression of cloth or fabric on the base? You may have to look with a magnifying glass to see it.

As soon as you've gotten back to me, I'll give your appraisal my full and prompt attention and have a value for you within an hour of studying the photos.

Many thanks, ***** ***** to hear,

Robert.

PS. I know how hard it is take good close-up pictures of marks, so I sympathize, however here are some tips I use to make it easier.

• Use the strongest possible angled light you can find (not flash).
  • Select the macro function (that's the little flower icon) on your camera.
  • Rest the camera and the item on the table (on a towel, say) so everything is stock steady as you take the photo
  • Slowly slide the item towards the lens until it's in focus, keeping both the camera and the item on the table as you click.
  • Take 100s and delete them as you go until you get a good one.
  • If you are using an iPhone, touch the screen where you want the image to be sharpest and it will automatically correct the focus and the lighting.

Hope this is helpful. R

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
more picts per your request, the buddah is 14 inches tall by 25 inches round,it does not have paper or felt on bottom.The white piece of paper is the mark on the bottom that i lightly penciled over to obtain the mark as best as possible. this statue is over a hundred years old . has been in my family well over 60 years. it has gold all over it and also has jewels all over

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

The pics didn't seem to attach this end, can you very kindly attach them again.

Or if you are having problems with the picture loading shortcut you may find it easier to upload them to a free public picture hosting site and give me the link to them. The one I prefer is www.imgur.com

Just two clicks and a copy and paste and you are done

Go to http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'sign in' or 'sign up' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "New Post"
Click on "Browse"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Copy"
and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok those are posted the buddh is 14 in tall and 25 in round
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i figured out how to do it, stupid me
SUNP0001.JPGSUNP0001.JPGSUNP0002.JPGSUNP0002.JPGSUNP0003.JPGSUNP0003.JPGSUNP0004.JPGSUNP0004.JPGSUNP0005.JPGSUNP0005.JPGSUNP0006.JPGSUNP0006.JPGSUNP0012.JPGSUNP0012.JPGSUNP0013.JPGSUNP0013.JPGSUNP0014.JPGSUNP0014.JPGSUNP0015.JPGSUNP0015.JPGSUNP0017.JPGSUNP0017.JPGSUNP0016.JPGSUNP0016.JPGSUNP0018.JPGSUNP0018.JPGSUNP0019.JPGSUNP0019.JPGSUNP0020.JPGSUNP0020.JPGSUNP0021.JPGSUNP0021.JPGSUNP0022.JPGSUNP0022.JPGSUNP0024.JPGSUNP0024.JPGSUNP0025.JPGSUNP0025.JPG

Hi Tami!
Thanks for those. Especially the last one taken outdoors, that's really sharp and helpful.

Could you very kindly add one more of the entire bottom, and a clear shot of the mark taken outdoors in that light.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Do you want me to appraise this guy too!?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i"m looking to get him appraised. he stands 14 in tall and is 25 inches round.and i"m also looking for a possible buyer.
he has been in my family for over 60 years. And he is well over 100 yrs old,possibly 200 yrs .I do believe he is a piece of a
dynasty. I have tried to find info on him and haven"t found anything remotely close.

Hi Tami,

Thanks so much for trying with the photos, but the images are still too blurry (I think it must be the beer!) to see anything of the mark.

Here's how I take photos of marks and some of these tips may help.

• Rest the camera on the table with item (on a towel, say) so everything is stock steady as you take the photo

However, if none of this works, just take a photo of the bottom from way back (so it's in focus) like the one you took of the whole figure in the sunshine and I'll do the zooming and enlarging this end in order to read the mark.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the one that is clear is me drawing the image
SUNP0039.JPGSUNP0039.JPGSUNP0038.JPGSUNP0038.JPGSUNP0037.JPGSUNP0037.JPGSUNP0036.JPGSUNP0036.JPGSUNP0035.JPGSUNP0035.JPGSUNP0034.JPGSUNP0034.JPGSUNP0033.JPGSUNP0033.JPGSUNP0032.JPGSUNP0032.JPGSUNP0031.JPGSUNP0031.JPGSUNP0030.JPGSUNP0030.JPG

Thanks for those, Tami, I may be able to work with the one showing the entire bottom, but it's still not clear enough to read who the maker is.

The one of you drawing the image didn't come through, I'm afraid, though there was a blurry one of the mark on a piece of paper.

But don't worry, I won't put you through any more photographing torture, I'll go with what we've got. Leave this with me, and I'll have a full answer for you as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, I notice there's a hairline crack along the bottom. How far up the side of the figure does that go? It's not too bad a thing, but it will detract somewhat from the value.

Many thanks,

Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its just on the bottom , and it dont go up the side or all the way across the bottom

Okay, just on the bottom, thanks for confirming that, that's not too bad.

Will have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Tami,

First of all, he is Japanese rather than Chinese.

He's made of porcelain and you are right, is quite old. From the way the decoration is done, this figure dates to about 1890 - 1912, a time known in Japan as the late Meiji period. Meiji was a Japanese emperor who reigned from 1868 - 1912.

Although impossible to see for sure, the mark on the bottom is probably a two character ***** *****ke this one:

http://i.imgur.com/ooloS2W.jpg

that reads 九谷 or Kutani which is a region and a style of Japanese porcelain (so not the name of the individual who made it).

Strictly speaking, this figure is called Hotei (or Budai in China) the god of happiness and contentment. He is one of the "The Seven Deities of Good Fortune" - a group of immortals very popular in Japan.

I have always confused this figure with the Buddha, but they are two separate entities. Hotei gets his name from budai, meaning a cloth sack which he is often depicted carrying, and in this case he has draped over his shoulder. The sack contains his few possessions as well as gifts for the children.

He's based on a real individual, an eccentric Chan monk who lived in tenth century Liang dynasty China and who, tradition has it, was bald, rotund and ever smiling. He was also adored by children.

Hotei is always depicted smiling and with a large exposed belly which one is supposed to rub to release the happiness and abundance, which may take the form of children and grandchildren, so be careful what you rub him for!

It is also traditional to place a coin in his mouth to get him to grant you wishes. You may notice his mouth is open and his teeth are arranged in such a was as to hold a coin.

He's often nicknamed the "Laughing Buddha" which only adds to the confusion with the founder of Buddhism which he really has nothing to do with.

The decoration on these figures is particularly noteworthy, where his robe is densely covered in beautiful brocades of raised enamels, all carefully hand painted in a technique known as moriage (pronunced mori-ah-gay) that requires remarkable skill and the steadiest of hand to do.

At 15 inches yours is one of the largest examples of a Kutani Hotei you'll find. They come in many sizes and vintages. They went on making them in this way until World War II.

These older, larger ones are the most sought after, but prices can be all over the place. To give you an idea of the spread, this example, for instance, also 15"

http://i.imgur.com/5SU2KeB.jpg

sold at auction for $400.

And this one,

http://i.imgur.com/VOV0oHR.jpg

sold for $1650.

Having said that, if you were to sell at a good antique auction house yours should fetch in the range of $1250 - $1750.

He therefore has a full retail value of $3,500 (if you saw him for sale in an antique store, say) which is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

So I would go and find the dealer who mentioned the price of $10,000 and take him up on his offer as fast as you can!

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you need me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Tami,

I hope all is okay. I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Robert S.
Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser