Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have a hardback book: the French Grammar by Hugo Thieme

Customer Question
I have a hardback book...
I have a hardback book: the French Grammar by Hugo Thieme and John Effinger, published in 1918 by MacMillan. Is there any value to this book?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appraisals
9/11/2016
Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago
Doris Matthews

Hello and welcome, John. My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

My research indicates that your book would have an estimated retail value of $35 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm a little disappointed in the answer since this is the value that I had found on the internet for a recent reproduction of this book and NOT for the original book published in 1918.
Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago

I am so sorry but I have never made this kind of error.

Please allow me to research again for you.

I have several sources I can check with.

Once again, I thank you for your continuing patience.

Please do not rate me until I can get back to you.

I will work on it right away.

Kind regards,

Dori

Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago

You are quite right. I missed the "later edition." As I said, this is the first time I have ever made such a mistake. I am a very reliable appraiser with over 99% (1000s) of my customers pleased.

I am unable to locate another copy of your exact book.

I will release (opt out) of your question so that another professional can help you.

This does not cost extra. I will not be able to respond once I release your question. You cannot rate the responding new professional if you try to rate me here. He/she may have more resources than I to locate a correct answer for you and would deserve a generous positive rating. It is worth the time to wait for another pro.

Alternatively, you can request a refund by contacting customer support at the following address.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or by calling one of these phone number:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Again, please accept my apologies. This job is important to me and a poor rating really impacts my job. I do hope you find the information you are looking for.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your reply and I look forward to hearing from another appraiser. (By the way, my name is ***** ***** it's Jody)
Doris Matthews
Doris Matthews
Doris Matthews