Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

7/22/2016
Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago
Doris Matthews

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please tell me the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He was known as an impressionist who normally painted with oil on board. That's what my paintings are.
Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago

You may have already seen this, but just in case you have not, I will include it here.

Biography of Francis Morton JOHNSON (1878-1931)

"Francis Morton Johnson was born in Waltham, Massachusetts on May 23, 1878, and like many young American artists, left the United States to pursue his artistic education in Paris at the Academy Julian under the tutelage of Jean-Paul Laurens. He exhibited at the Salon d'Automne in 1907 and 1908, and also each year between 1908 and 1914 at the Salon des Indépendants, which was interrupted between 1915 and 1919 during the second World War.

A still life exhibited in 1908 was purchased for the national French collections, and first deposited in 1909 at the Berlioz Museum in La- Côte-Saint-André, then in the Town-Hall of this city. He notably exhibited in 1912 at the Salon des Artistes Français with other fellow artists Louis Rittman, ***** *****, Preston Dickenson, Aston Knight. This event, due to the participation of many American artists, was presented in the May first issue of The New York Times.

He also exhibited at the Galerie Georges Petit in Paris and in the United States at the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts Annual in both 1908 and 1910 . Francis Morton Johnson was a member of the American Art Association of Paris.

The artist was also known for inventing a device for registering the human voice on motion picture films, which was co-patented in 1923 with his wife Adélaïde Faucon."

He died in Neuilly-sur-Seine on November 19, 1931.
Source:
Researched and submitted by Pierre Sinay who wrote: "Every information has been checked carefully. Note his birthplace, which is Waltham and not Boston and also note a painting which is in the town hall of La-Côte-Saint-André, the birth city of the famous French composer Hector Berlioz.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $589 for the 16x13" painting and $1183 for the 22x19" painting assuming good cosmetic condition and depending on sale location.

I saw where your two paintings sold at auction for $400 plus premium. I used other auction values to determine estimated auction value for yours assuming optimum selling location and a large buyer pool.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What I said was that I had two paintings that measured 16 x 13 unframed and 22 x 19 framed. I checked back to make sure I had phrased it correctly. I appreciate your attempt to help me, but in this case, it really didn't. His only medium was oil, so when you asked what the medium was, I was already a bit disenchanted. With all due respect, better luck next time for both of us. Thanks for your efforts.
Appraiser: Doris Matthews,
 replied 1 year ago

I am very sorry you are not satisfied with my researched answer.

I will opt out of your question so that other professionals might assist you.

I hope you find the answers you I looking for.

I will not be able to respond once I opt out.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris Matthews
Doris Matthews
Doris Matthews