Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a black and drawing (artwork) with added colors. The

Customer Question

I have a black and white drawing (artwork) with added colors. The size is 9 3/4 X 12 3/4. It depicts an old gentleman, aged around 80, who is sitting in long desk armchair. The artwork is signed "***** ***** '32" in red. I have owned it for about 10 years. I ran Google search and found:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Kelly_(artist)
James ***** ***** (July 30, 1855 – May 25, 1933) was an American sculptor and illustrator who specialized in depicting people and events of American wars, particularly the American Civil War.
Born July 30, 1855 New York City
Died May 25, 1933 (aged 77) New York City
Nationality American
Known for Sculptor, Illustrator
Notable work General Buford Memorial, Washington in Prayer, Caesar Rodney
*
This Wikipedia article has a photograph of James E. Kelly (probably in his late 30s), and the old gentleman on the artwork that I own looks very much like James E. Kelly might (to my mind) had looked at his late 70s.
Should the artwork be what I think it is (a self portrait of James E. Kelly), could it be of any value?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello,Sorry for my late response to your email.
Attached please find 4 pictures of the item including the one that shows the signature. Also attached is a file showing a picture of Jim ***** ***** at his age of around 35 - 40.Sincerely,Natalie
Expert:  Rarewares replied 12 months ago.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you.