Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I just acquired a novel entitled Tales of Hoffmann

Customer Question

I just acquired a novel entitled Tales of Hoffmann originally written by ETA Hoffmann. This one was printed in 1946 edited by Lazare. I find quite a few on Abes books but the thing that intrigues me is it is illustrated by ***** *****ndner with a full 28 illustrations 12 of them in color. All are signed in print. I don't understand why they aren't being taken out of these books and framed since they are lithographs with no printing on the backside.Would that be worth doing?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Are you wanting to know how much ***** *****ndner Illustrations are value for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what his posters and prints sell for on the open market which is why I am asking the question. These drawings would be smaller measuring 9.5" x 6.5" They are all signed on the art and are part of the book. I don't believe anyone has considered doing what I suggest. Since the prints in the book are blank on the back with no printing they could be matted and framed. What would small prints signed in the art be worth with ***** *****ndner's name on them? They are obviously his work. The book authenticates that.There is also the problem of removing them from the book and selling them. Does that infringe on the copyright especially since these books are over 70 years old and the artist is no longer here? Neither is the author nor editor and I doubt the publishing company is still in business. 12 color prints by Lindner could fetch a good price . The 16 black and white would still sell as his work is hot. I can't believe I am the first to think of doing this. There are more of these books available. Not a lot but enough to make a good profit if there would be a market and it is legal to do so I haven't found one of the prints in the book on the open market which totally suggests Lindner drew them solely for the book and no one has pulled them out as of my writing this.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Yes you would be able to take them out of the book and sell them. That would not be a problem.

Are you planning on matting as well as framing them. I found where his illustrations, just a print, with his signature is going for 120.00-150.00, these are a little larger then the book prints. But you still could price them at a good price depending on how you frame them.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I wont know until I try.. I will mat them and leave the framing to others. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For some reason I cant rate you. Can you fix that?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have not given you an answer yet. I was going to see how you were going to frame them if you frame them.

So you are going to mat them but not put a frame? Sell them as matted only?

Glenda