Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

A 1975 crushed red velvet size sleigh bed. It was my husband's first bed that he purchased at Four Brother's...

Customer Question
A 1975 crushed red velvet...
A 1975 crushed red velvet king size sleigh bed.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was my husband's first bed that he purchased at Four Brother's Furniture store that no longer exists. The bed had side scrolls at the top and foot of the bed. It had boards for box spring. I have photos.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: The bed was in a flood and damaged beyond repair.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appraisals
6/16/2016
Appraiser: Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Hello

I can see you uploaded an image here, you do the bed the same way.

The only email address we have is the***@******.***. I am not sure what is wrong, I just got pictures from them at that address today from another customer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you get the photos, disregard the above message.
20160601_185651.jpg2016060...jpg20160601_185639.jpg2016060...jpg20160601_185621.jpg2016060...jpg20160601_185532.jpg2016060...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent the photos of the bed and accidentally sent the photo of myself that was right next to the bed. Thank you

Hello

That is ok, thanks.

.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations, if you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me.
.
The Vintage King Size Bed, circa: 1975 has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.
.
Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your appraisal. I am disappointed to hear this. The bed was destroyed while in storage. I need the replacement value, and(###) ###-####is what it's worth? The original purchase price was $2,500.00 in 1975, and it was in great condition.

Hello

Not that is what it would sell for at auction, and online auctions such as Ebay which are always close out prices and where most shop today.

.

The beds are not valued at what the originally sold for during their time, they are not old enough yet to have become an antique.

The Cost Replacement ( Insurance purposes ) Retail value on this Vintage Sleigh Bed from the 70's is an estimate of $1***-**-****.00. This is the amount it would sell for in a Retail Market, a Brick and Mortar Antique Shop or the Retro Modern shops.

.

.
.

:) ( smiles )
.
.
Glenda

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.

Let me know if you still need help with this question.

I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.

I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.