Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I have a Silver tray (probably silver plated) presented to

Customer Question
my Grandfather on his...
I have a Silver tray (probably silver plated) presented to my Grandfather on his retirement in about 1919 (it is not dated) There is a mark with the letters W&H together with a pennant with the same initials. Can you please give any information about it"s manufacture including the date. ***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appraisals
6/9/2016
Appraiser: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 year ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is Tanya I would be happy to help you. Could you post a photo or two of the tray and close ups of the markings please. This will help me in giving you accurate information and values. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologise for the quality of the photos. On the back of the tray the name Walker & Hall Sheffield appears with a pennant and a shield with "t"' also the number53524A. Also on the back but further down the numbers 50 over7. I hope this info is helpful, /Volumes/Data/Users/johnwhite/Desktop/IMG_0127.jpg /Volumes/Data/Users/johnwhite/Desktop/IMG_0129.jpg
/Volumes/Data/Users/johnwhite/Desktop/IMG_0133.jpg /Volumes/Data/Users/johnwhite/Desktop/IMG_0138.jpg

Hello and thank you for the photos. I will now look over these photos and post back here promptly. thank you

Hi, I have tried the above links and none are coming up. If you click on the file upload button here within our post and follow the prompts the photos should upload. If for some reason they do not you may also email the photos to me at***@******.*** and in the email please put "forCustomerin appraisals" The company will then send them on to me. The email does take a day or two to forward to me however I will post my evaluation back here promptly. Please let me know if you email the photos so I can keep abreast and watch fro the forwarded photos from the company.

From the description you have given me so far I am able to tell you the following:

Pattern: 28586 (Silverplate, Hollowware) by Walker & Hall

Pattern Number: 28586

Description: Silverplate, Hollowware, Gadroon, Shell

The business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by ***** *****. Becoming an assistant of Dr. ***** ***** who had conducted important experiments on electroplating Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield. The business was joined by ***** ***** and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh,Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa). Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.

I will be able to date and value the tray once I can see the markings. Thank you and I look forward to finishing this for you.

Hello if you can tell me the measurements and describe the shape i can help you further and complete this request if you wish. Please let me know.

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.