Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have a Story & Baby Grand (black ) with a serial # of DG…

Customer Question
I have a Story &...
I have a Story & Clark Baby Grand (black ebony) with a serial # ***** DG 05881. Could you tell me what year it was made and where it was made. and how much it would be worth. The strings and inside looks like new and it is in very good condition. I have a man that is emailing me saying it was made in China but it has a seal on the inside between the strings that says something about German.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2016
Appraiser: TylerOrganist, Master's Degree replied 2 years ago
TylerOrganist
TylerOrganist, Master's Degree

Hi, can you check the serial please and see if any other letters come before it? It likely was made in China, though the company that would have made it would have placed more letters in front of the number, or began the letters with an "I".

No other numbers. On the bottom center of the strings is a large round seal that says World Class German Technic with decorative leaves and stars. I see no where that has made in china. I was under the impression when we bought it that it was over 40 years old. I could be wrong and the elderly man we bought it from died several years ago. He was original owner as I understand it.

Ok. If it is about 40 years old then it isn't Chinese made. DG 05881 wouldn't be the serial if it is that old. Are you able to provide photos showing the serial and inside of the piano?

I don't know if it is 40 years. It is quite possibily older. The man was in his 70's or 80's. Could be older. I am clueless on computer technology. The only way I could is with my cell phone. I will say that everyone that has played or listened to it being played says it has a beautiful sound to it. I looked at the serial number again it is as I said and it appears to be wood burned or carved into it.
Do you have a way I could send pictures via my cell #
It is a Story & Clark baby grand prelude if that helps. It is 5'5 by 4' 10 approx

No sorry, any photos have to come through here. If you would like, I can provide an appraisal based on the assumed age of 40 years.

Hey I have a thought. Is it possible that the DG has something to do with the date? And the date could be May 8 1981? Where else would a serial number be? I've looked everywhere. How do you send pictures? Maybe someone could help me do it tomorrow.

It should only be inside by the strings. A date wouldn't be found inside, only a serial.

I'm going to check it tomorrow. I can't imagine that # ***** so obvious on the inside corner not being the serial #. I will get back with you. Obviously for $36 I would like a solid answer. Thank you for your time thus far
Has my paypal been charged for this conversation?

No problem. I don't handle billing so I'm not sure if you have been charged yet, though usually you are charged upon beginning a chat with me.

Ok. Thank you.

Hi, just making sure you still wanted help--it looked like this question was closed after our last exchange.

I went ahead and got a refund. I'm looking online. It bothers me because when I bought this piano I found the exact number with the DG. I don't know what's up with it. But I can see by th wood used etc it is an extremely quality piano