Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have a stratavaris violin that belonged to my grandfather.

Customer Question
the label inside say Antonio...
I have a stratavaris violin that belonged to my grandfather. the label inside say Antonio stratavaris cremono then there is a number.
How can I figure out it's age and it's value.
My grandfather died in 1935 so I know it's that old at least.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
Answered in 7 days by:
3/15/2016
Appraiser: Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser

Good day my name is*****

I am a Certified IRS Qualified Appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my expertise, libraries, resources, and experience in the field to work for you. thank you for asking this question. It is one of the most frequently questions asked.

First some background.

Aentonio Stradivari, also known by the Latin form of his name, Antonius Stradivarius, was a master craftsman who revolutionized the design of the violin. The instruments that he crafted in the late 1600s and early 1700s are considered to be the finest ever made because of the unsurpassed quality of their tone. Of the approximately 650 of his violins known still to exist, many continue to be played by musicians today. Each one is accounted for.

At the beginning of the 20th century mail order house such as Sears began selling inexpensive violins with the Stradivarius label. These were produced in the thousands first in Germany and then in Czechoslovakia.

Today they sell for $150.00 to $450.00 each depending on their condition