Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have two pieces of art from a Cuban artist named. Both…

Customer Question
I have two pieces of...
I have two pieces of art from a Cuban artist named Garcia. Both pieces are numbered 1/1 and I believe they were acquired in the 1960's. I would like to send you a photo of the work but am not sure how to do that?
Thank you,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
3/4/2016
Appraiser: Appraiser JM, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Certified Appraiser

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

You uploaded that photo just fine! Can you also upload a close-up of the signature?

Jennifer

Good morning,

I am trying to match this artist for you. How do you know this is a Cuban artist? It may help me make a match (since the last name is ***** ***** and we don't have a first name).

Jennifer

These two pieces were probably purchased through a decorator. A few years ago my friend took them to an appraiser in town at an art museum. He told her it was a Cuban artist. That is all the information I have on the work.
Thanks,

Thank you.

I am unable to match this signature.

I am going to opt out to see if any of the other appraisers can help you. You don't need to do anything, or pay any additional fees. You'll get an email notice when another appraiser picks up this question.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I take it no one can help me with my question?

I'm so sorry no one was able to help. The problem is that the name is ***** ***** of Garcias working as artists in Cuba and elsewhere in Latin America over the past 50-60 years. The style of the artwork is also relatively common, not too distinctive--if we were deciding between 3 or 5 or even 10 specific Garcias, we could probably pinpoint the right one. Or if we had any additional piece of information--an exact date, a gallery name, etc.--that would help too.

As it is, it's just so broad of a search that there's no way to really determine who this is.

Again, my apologies.

Jennifer

I completely understand Jennifer. Thanks for trying.