Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

What would my elevator grille from the Old Met in NYC be

Customer Question

what would my elevator grille from the Old Met in NYC be worth?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Appraiser JM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****’m a certified appraiser, and I’d be happy to help.

In order to appraise your item, I’ll need clear, well-lit photos, both overall and any distinguishing marks, labels, stamps, signatures, or details.

Photo upload instructions can be found on this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

If that doesn’t work for you, please contact Customer Support for help. You can find their contacts in the box on the upper right on this page:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Please note:

1) After receiving your response, it may take me some time to research your item, and/or I may not be available if there has been a delay between my question and your response. I do promise to get back to you as soon as I have some information for you.

2) I do not handle appraisals by phone, as I feel it is more productive to work through messages. If you get a phone call request, it has come from the auto-reply system, NOT from me. Please ignore.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=D3317A5E4660349F!7256&authkey=!AGjasrLCa0npMkE&ithint=folder%2cJPGthis is a link to photos of the grille. It measures 37.5 by 48.75 inches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mother and father bought the grille in the mid-sixties . They went into Manhattan to see if they could buy something from the Old Met before they tore it down. We've had it ever since.

Thank you!

It's a lovely wrought iron piece, with a great history. Unfortunately, the condition is problematic--there is a high level of rusting and corrosion. The primary market for these is for people to incorporate them into home construction or redesign, which is difficult with this extent of flaking.

In as-is condition, I'd estimate value at $800-$1000.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well...there is the option of soda-blasting the piece and painting it. If this were done, what would value be..as a ? And thank you for your time!

The problem is that it would no longer have the original patina, so it wouldn't do much for the value.

Jennifer