Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I'm trying to figure out if my "antique" bed is painted iron…

Customer Question
I'm trying to figure...

I'm trying to figure out if my "antique" bed is painted iron or brass coated iron. That's not really an appraisal question, although knowing it's value would be helpful.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Uh, it's a bed. It's metal and initially looks like brass, but it's heavy (HEAVY) and the "brass"/brass color has rubbed off on edges to reveal a gray color. Though in some places I would not say it "rubbed" off because the edges of the gray area are not smooth - as in there isn't a subtle blend from the brass color to the gray - it's more like chipping paint but because it's on a raised edge it could be called rubbing.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Are you an automated response?

Expert's Assistant: No. I'm the Antiques Appraiser's Assistant.

Just checking - sorry, but you were online last night when I initially searched and I was thinking you didn't get a chance to sleep. :)

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
Answered in 1 day by:
3/1/2016
Appraiser: AppraiserGreg, Appraisal Expert replied 2 years ago
AppraiserGreg
AppraiserGreg, Appraisal Expert

Hello, my name is Greg.

I am trying to get a visual of the bed to try to determine this for you. Can you take a picture from various angles - especially in any area where the paint is chipping (or rubbing)?

Certainly - see attached files. Thanks for responding. (I wanted to attach files to my initial question, but couldn't figure out how. :)
HB
FullSizeRender_1.jpgFullSiz...jpgIMG_3432.JPGIMG_3432.JPGIMG_3447.JPGIMG_3447.JPGIMG_3434.JPGIMG_3434.JPG

Thanks for the uploads. Give me a bit to look them over and see if I can track down anything in my resources. Be back shortly.

Thanks for uploading. Based just on the pictures (without being able to visually see the items myself to really inspect the surface), I would think that this looks like an original brass finish. These look to be from early to mid twentieth century (although not able to find exact match in my files quickly). Is there anything identifying on them? Very nice set.

I was just wanting to reach out to see if you needed any additional followup on this question. Feel free to reach out if needed.

When satisfied, be sure to rate my response so that I receive credit for my help on this question.

Have a wonderful week.

AppraiserGreg
AppraiserGreg
AppraiserGreg, Appraisal Expert