Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

WE have an antique pump organ which we are attempting to…

Customer Question
WE have an antique...

WE have an antique pump organ which we are attempting to value. 10 stop parlor organ Chicago Cottage/Cable brand

Expert's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It has a number 224601 stenciled on back. Also S.5 and B & S stenciled on back also

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
2/21/2016
Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 2 years ago
pianoandmusic

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you.

The records for the Chicago Cottage Organ & Piano Company are quite limited. It does say that the business was established in 1879 by F. R. Wolfinger, J. C. Comstock and Herman D. Cable as the Wolfinger Organ Co. The name was changed to the Chicago Cottage Organ Co. in about 1885. There are only a few serial number details. The serial number you have given would be pre 1907 perhaps circa 1900.

I am sorry to say that there is not much of a market for these old organs because there is very little interest in them apart from as a novelty factor. They invariably do not always work very well due to lack of use. They sometimes have some quite ornate tops with shelving and mirrors and thus they are used more now as a piece of furniture. Therefore the price obtained if selling, even for a fully working and/or partly restored instrument, can be under $500 and often at auction they sell for their furniture aspect only for less than $100. I am sorry it is not better news.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’ I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar general sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help please contact me.

Appraiser: pianoandmusic,
 replied 2 years ago

Hello again. It seems that you may not have viewed my answer to your question or you have not received the Email to advise you that the appraisal answer is on here waiting for you. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please complete the question process by clicking on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page. Thank you. John