Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Have a double string bass made by Sebaltian Kioz, Geigen…

Customer Question
have a double string bass...
have a double string bass made by Sebaltian Kioz, Geigen Meicher, in Mittenwald
an der Iffer, 1730 My husband played in the New Orleans Symphony, and it is
in the old big wooden case they used to move their instruments when the symphony
played in different towns. Who would know about the value? I have pictures of the
bass that I could send if this would help. Thank you Jeanne **** **********@***.***
or phone ***-***-****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
2/16/2016
Appraiser: Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser

Good day Jeanne, my name is***** will be a pleasure to help you with this question about your Sebastien Kloz Double Bass.

I see that you have pictures you can send. Please send one of the whole instrument if possible.

The Klotz is a family of violin makers. Members of the Klotz (or Kloz) family have made violins in Mittenwald, Germany from the mid-17th century to the present.

Instruments by Sebastian (1696–1768) are probably the most admired among the many existing examples by this family. Some instruments which have been identified as Sebastian's work bear his father's label. Typical labels:

• Sebastian Klotz in Mittenwald an der Iser 1730
  • Sebastian Kloz, in Mittenwald, an 1743
  • Seb. G. Kloz in Mittenwald, 1732

The first sounds like the one in your Bass.

I will check on the current value.

Jeanne, here is what I have for you. The majority of the Kloz Mittenwald instruments that have sold are violins, with cellos next. I did not find any sales results for a double bass. This indicates that the family made fewer of them. As to value. Based on the results for the cellos the minimum range for your husbands Sabastian Kloz 1730 Double Bass is $10.000.00 to $14,000.00. Possibly more. If you are considering selling the instrument you might have either Christie's of Sotheby's give you an estimate.

Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals
Tim in Appraisals, Fine Art Appraiser