Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2016
Appraiser: Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser

Hello

From what I found Simon Yazzie signed their work S Y, and so did Sally Yazzie. I am trying to locate who used Simon. Not all the Native American Artists are listed in the data bases though.

So it is possible to only find date and value.

Glenda

Any luck?

Hello

I have been doing research on this it seems there was a Simon Yazzie and a Sally Yazzie, they are both Native American Jewelry makers, from the Southwest. They sign their pieces S Y , there is no Native American listed in any of the data bases or sites that signs their work SIMON like yours is signed. When you actually look at the signature on yours it appears the signature is stamped onto a rectangle piece of silver then it is pressed into the piece. Most Native Americans that made hand made jewelry would sign the actual piece, usually etched in.

I can value this for you as a Vintage Native American Turquoise Set, that is signed by artist, just cannot say exactly who the artist Simon is, if you like?

Glenda

No the stone is malachite not turquoise. If stamped and pressed seperatly as you speak of, I am not sure, but I would make an assumption that it was a jewler, artist, or company who marked a lot of different items. Please opt out if your not sure of this item. Thank you

Hello

I am sure of this, you did not specify this was malachite, and from images we receive it appears to be turquoise. You are correct it is a jeweler , artist of company who marked this. Appraisers use paid for data bases in order to gain access that is not open to the public, we also have extensive libraries on Jewelry and Jewelry making, and a lot on Native American. I am very familiar with Native American, having bought and sold this for years.

The Name Simon is not in any data base, nor any book on Native American Jewelry, nor on Southwestern Jewelry. That does not mean there is not an artist that used this signature, it just means that artist is not known and is not in any data base, site or book. They may have never became famous enough to be recorded anywhere. This is very common among artists. There are hundreds of Native American artists who did not become famous, there are hundreds of companies that did not make it and are not recorded anywhere.

I do not understand what you mean if I am not sure? I am sure of what you have, as I stated you did not say what this is, and from the images it appears turquoise on this end. But I am very sure what Malachite and Sterling sells for. I can value this if you like. I just cannot tell you who Simon was or is.

Glenda

I'm sorry I did not specify malachite in my question. The pictures I sent were very clear and text book examples of malachite. I have never seen, tho it may exist, turquoise blue or green that has straight lines in it. As the previous question you tried to get me to except about the wood cut painting, that you were so sure was unidentifiable, with no information was incorrect, you are on the same line of thought here. Please opt out of my question, and please do not pick up another question I may have in the future. Thank you

Hello

I am sorry you feel this way. I also am aware that the other expert has not been able identify the wood block print either that makes three of us now! I refuse to give an answer that is not correct, and there is no information on the wood block print nor any information on this name Simon! I will not make up something to just get an accept. Experts have enough knowledge of what sells and does not sell and what they sell for to do comparable values.

.

I had no way of knowing you were the same person as the wood block print, we cannot tell what names customers are using when they ask a question. This name Timothy is not the same one that showed up on the Wood Block Print. So I cannot guarantee that I will not pick up another one of your questions. Sorry! I am also sorry that you are the only customer I have come across in all of my over 12,000 satisfied customers who rated me with the highest rating who feels that because I cannot or will not lie about who or what signed or made this piece,or did your wood bock , that it is a bad thing.

I assure you I will try my best to not pick up another one of your questions.

Have a great day!

Glenda