Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I require a valuation painting held in our Superannuation

Customer Question
I require a valuation for...
I require a valuation for a painting held in our Superannuation Fund, due to changes in the Super. Act.
I am not interested in selling at this time so a lower end val. would be OK
The painting in an acrylic on canvas, framed by Peter Snelgar - Yellow waters in Kruger National Park.
It is in excellent condition
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
12/10/2015
Appraiser: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 2 years ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I would be happy to help you. What is the size of the painting? I can give you an evaluation after I know the size of the painting. Look forward to helping you. Here is some information I found on the artist:

Quick Facts:

Peter Snelgar

(born 1941)

Peter Snelgar is active/lives in Australia.

Personal Biography I found on Peter Snelgar:

Whilst having a junior sporting background Peter Snelgar later attended the Swindan college of the Arts. His father who was in the Air Force was transferred to South Australia in 1958. Peter began selling his work at the local market, and with his small scale success started becoming one of Australia's most sought after artists. Lovely traditional Australian artworks and beautiful in any collection.

I was born in England in 1941. My father was in the air force so, due to his frequent postings, we lived in many different places. I think I must have attended a dozen schools at least. I was interested in art from a very early age, and always knew that one day I would be able to earn a living from my paintings.

My last school was at Malmsbury, in Wiltshire, and when I left there I was head boy, and sports captain. Later I attended Swindon college of the arts.
In 1958 dad was posted to South Australia, where he finished his service, and decided to stay in Adelaide. I was seventeen at the time and took up work in the construction industry. There was plenty of work around and my art studies were put on hold.

I was married young, to Pamela who was only seventeen, in 1959. We struggled for years trying to make a living, raised three kids, and hold the family together. I painted, but not often.

I worked for years on remote construction sites, up the bush, while Pam stayed home bringing up the kids. Until one day a bad injury to my back put me out of the building game for good.

I concentrated on my painting, developing a style that is uniquely my own, the back injury may have been a blessing in disguise.

In 1979, while still recuperating, Pam took a load of junk to the trash and treasure market at the local drive in theatre. Some of my reject paintings (that Pam had retrieved from the incinerator) were much sought after, and for a couple of years after that we did the markets on a regular basis.

In 1982 Pam and I organized my first one man exhibition at Hazelmere estate winery in South Australia, and a list of subsequent exhibitions followed.
I have taken part in countless mixed shows organized by various charity groups, and for many years supplied the prestigious Wylde’s Art fine art gallery in Perth with paintings of the tropical wetlands of Kakadu.

These day, although I no longer hold exhibitions, my painting can be found in a few exclusive galleries around the country.

My paintings hang in Boardrooms and private collections in many countries all over the world, form Hong Kong to Alaska, and I must admit that I feel a thrill when I walk into a reception office, or boardroom and one of my paintings is hanging there.

Peter Snelgar passed away in 2006.
The painting size is122cm wide by 88 cm high. He has done a lot of paintings in National Kruger Park Darwin.NT (Aust)
Could you send me a written valuation that the Insurance and Superannuation Commission Australia will accept.
The painting was purchased at an art gallery in Darwin approx. 2005 for $12000.00 Aust Dollars.
The lower figure the better as I will be paying our Super Fund for the painting and the Australian market is at an all time low.
People are cutting back as the economy has slowed down considerably.
Thanks Nola

Hello, I have reviewed many of his paintings and his biographies. I did know he died in 2006 thank you. I do not do written appraisals online. It is against all policy to do a written appraisal of an item I do not see, handle and evaluate in person. I contacted the Commission to see what type they accept and they will only accept a written appraisal. The value of your painting currently is $9,500.00-10,000 for the size and subject matter. I can not lower the value then what the actual values are in Australia. I will opt out to allow another appraiser to help you. Thank you

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.