Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have 5 H Hubbell aviation prints. They are in very vivid

Customer Question

Hello! I have 5 Charles H Hubbell aviation prints. They are in very vivid color, printed on what looks like sketch pad paper. They belonged to a deceased family member who was a WWII US Fighter Pilot. They haven't been framed or even placed out in daylight. Excellent condition!
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have researched this extensively online. I know all about the artist. Really looking for the value of these unusual prints. Thank you so much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that only 1 of the prints were sent to you. I have the other 4. and would be happy to send them if you would like to see them. The prints are.Piston Engines Jets Caproni-Campini, First Rocket Plane Flight Opal Sander Rak I.Kamikaze Rocket Plane Japenese Fugi-Kakuki Oyako Suicide Bomb, Americas First Jet Liner Bell XP 59. and Five Down for McKeever.
Thank you!
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you. This particular print was a series of 12. If you like you can post the other 4. Thanks Mike

• 1948 Charles Hubbell Lithograph "Piston Engine and Jet. Italy, August 27,1940; Pilot - Col. Mario de Bernardi; Plane - caproni-Campini CC2; Span -52 ft.; Length -38 ft.; Weight -9250 lbs.; Maximum Speed - 230 mph; Power - One 900 hp Isotta Fraschini Piston Engine which drove a 3 stage Compressor."
  • Charles Hubbell was the world’s best-known artist-historian of the early air age. He began painting winners of the National Air Races for Thompson Products (which eventually became TRW) in 1939. These paintings were used for an annual calendar that Thompson Products produced. Each calendar featured a theme. Hubbell’s paintings were known for their extraordinary detail. During his 30-year association with TRW, Hubbell created 32 calendars and more than 375 individual oil paintings.
  • The original oils of these paintings are in the Smithsonian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes, I know all about that information. I have researched it extensively. These particular pictures appear to be prints, and are on what looks like sketch pad paper, as I mentioned in my earlier e-mail. You can actually see where the top looks like it was torn out of a pad. I have had to examine them with a magnifying glass to make sure they aren't original colored sketches.
The colors are so vivid it looked liked they were hand colored. I do not believe they are. I am interested in what the possible value might be? I do not see anywhere that I could send any more photos?
Expert:  ncsunburst replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Yes the originals of these prints are in the Smithsonian so being a possible copy of the originals the value would be determined by actual sold sales. So I will opt out and let another expert put a value on them for you. Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. I of course knew all of the info that you came up with. Basically I found out all of that through all of my own research. I appreciate you handing this off to someone else. Thank you!
Terri