Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Oil painting on canvas signed "" about 5 inches up

Customer Question

oil painting on canvas signed "taylor" about 5 inches up from right bottom corner. Landscape scene with fir trees on each side of a stream with small water spill over and snow capped mountains in background. Small cabin sits among the trees on the right
side of painting. Do not know first name of this artist.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is Diana.

.

Please keep in mind that even though a rating box may pop up, I would appreciate you not rating me until I give you an answer.

.

I have been going through every list and database I have access to and I cannot find an artist with that exact signature. I've checked artist lists, auction records, etc.

.

Really, that's not entirely uncommon. Out of the thousands of artists dating back centuries, very few have even really been recorded. You have artists that are hobbyists, students, and even professionals that just never get in the right market to have their names recorded.

.

It could also be what's called factory art, which is basically where you have an art studio (usually overseas) and you have a number of artist creating similar works and signing "western" style names to them. Then these paintings are sold through home decor shops, through retail stores and even some galleries. Usually when it's a case like that, the signature is in a weird place, it's often in red and sometimes there might be a stamp or some kind of number code on the back of the piece.

.

I did find a number of paintings singed Taylor with a similar subject matter and style.

.

Given all those little details, it could be unknown artist, but I lean more toward it being factory art. That would explain why there is nothing on the artist, yet you can find dozens of paintings with that name.

.

Even though it appears to be factory art, I can still value it if you like. It's still a handpainted piece. I could place a possible value based on the style and comparing it to similar contemporary work. It would be a very very rough ballpark, but I would be happy to do it.

~Diana