Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have a "plate" shaped like a pie pan. It looks

Customer Question

I have a "plate" shaped like a pie pan. It looks like wood yet I think it is ceramic. It is covered in carved images. On one of the pagoda's it says China. We used to have people try to find the word. It pictures Chinese men, walking bridges over water,
with pillars holding them up. There is one image of a boy, no beard or hat, with what looks like a butterfly net, a man using a hand pump for water. The insides of the plate is carved with small flowers and leaves. It is dark brown, 10" across, 11/2 " deep.
The story is that it was given to my paternal grandfather while he was in Canadian Navy, he was a Admiral, stationed in China around World War II. I would be interested in its value and history. Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

I will need to see this one. Please add a photo of the piece and any marks on the bottom. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

Your photo is dark, I am wondering about the color. Is it brown or is it a dark red?

Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

This is a Qing period (circa 1912) carved laquer cinnabar decorative plate. Cinnabar can range from red to reddish brown like yours. There was once a brass plate on the back that held the "Qing period made" mark in Chinese. This cinnabar laquered plate has a value of $300.00 us dollars.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is red when light is directly on it~a reddish brown in natural light
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

That is what I thought. Definitely cinnabar.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can you tell me about cinnabar?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.

Cinnabar, also known as Chinese Lacquer, is a famous Chinese handicraft. Traditionally, cinnabar items were created by painting multiple layers of lacquer onto an item, letting the item dry between each coat, and then carving the resulting layers of lacquer into beautiful patterns. Cinnabar gets its name from the red mineral cinnabar (mercury sulfide) that was used to give the distinctive red color to the lacquer used in the process.