Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Glenda. I am trying to identify this heavy 3.9 lb metal

Customer Question

Glenda B. I am trying to identify this heavy 3.9 lb metal (ferrous-highly attracted to magnet plate). It appears to be extremely old as some of the design and lines are worn away. The edges are hammered and slightly irregular. Any ideas, I cannot find
anything like it in my searches. It is approximately 11 1/2"in diameter and edges are 1 1/4" from table base. Plate does not have flat bottom so rocks a little when placed on table.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.x
PLEASE DO NOT RATE THIS UNTIL AN ANSWER HAS BEEN GIVEN. DO NOT RATE, WHEN INFO IS BEING GATHERED.!

Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.

The pictures are coming in very small on my end, like little thumbnails, and I cannot see this.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

That does help. I have seen a lot of these metal plates, that are used on antique stoves, to cover burners. I have not seen one that does not sit flat. I cannot imagine this being used as a serving dish, or even a plate someone would have eaten off of. I will see if I can find what this is, and a value.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a thought. Could it possibly be part of a scale. It does have a worn decorative interior and hammered decorative edge.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible, it would be a large scale. I will check that, I have several books on old scales.