Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

What can I expect to get if I sell my lithograph of

Customer Question

What can I expect to get if I sell my lithograph of Frank Howell's Phoenix Rising (the first one)? It is framed signed and I have a letter of authenticity. Want would be the best way to sell this painting?.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Please tell me the dimensions of your lithograph not including frame.
Then, I need a short description of the frame.
Is the lithograph numbered?
Finally, I need to know if your lithograph is in color.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
53x21Yes it is number & signed with letter of authenticationYes full color plates were destroyedFrom is gold floating professional framed acid free paper
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
More than welcome to call(###) ###-####
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
What are the numbers?
Kind regards.
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
38/50
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I do not do appraisals by phone. I need to do research to give the most accurate answer. I cannot talk on the phone and research at the same time. Besides, JA charges you extra for this service.
Kind regards,
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for all the information.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please take your time. I have had this one for years and I am just now thinking of selling. I also have Frank Howells 4 season suite and a Salvador Dali memories of time passing. Also a jang mother and child. I may be interested in these also. Take your time they will be hard to part with. Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I need the dimensions.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The picture its self is 53x 21. The frame is 51x30
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
I be back soon.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Doris.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
FRANK HOWELL
1937-1997
"Frank Howell's work is described as a fusion of the physical and spiritual worlds, the continuum of life. Whether he is painting an Indian face or a landscape, there is a sense of evolving; an evolution of past, present, and the dawning of the future.
"My work is very representational in some respects, and it's kind of explosive and expansive in other respects. I combine these directions, and, really, that's what has been accepted as the uniqueness in my work—it's at the same time contemporary and traditional."
Subtle earthy colors and sensitive draftsmanship bring to life this philosophical reality.
Howell views lithography as a painter's print medium because of its ability to reproduce the kinds of subtle gradation of values and tonality which are most similar to the variations drawing and paint can provide.
'…my first concepts of a print were in terms of painterly processes. Progressively, as I have gained experience and knowledge, my ideas and approaches to conceptualizing those ideas are more in keeping with the qualities particular to lithography. The delicate washes, crayon textures and soft pencil lines so unique to the medium have become useful and integral ingredients in the formation of my images. I believe that through the communion between the tools, materials, and qualities of lithography and my sensibilities, beauty may be born. It is the communion and my awareness of its potential that perpetuates my search.'
Howell's list of credits is extensive. A drawing series, "Past Winds," created in 1975, captured the attention of viewers in galleries, universities and museums throughout the nation. He has had over 30 one man shows including a display of lithographs at the Museum of Modern Art in Guadalajara, Mexico. Howell has been the subject of profiles on television, radio and in newspapers and magazines.
The oldest of three children, Howell spent his childhood in Iowa and Texas. As an ex-marine at eighteen, he enrolled in the University of Northern Iowa where he studied ceramics and jewelry making. He has had no formal training in painting, for which he is most widely known.
For six years Howell stopped painting altogether and devoted his time and energy to writing. The technical aspects of his painting may not have progressed during those years, but, his ideas moved forward, he explains, because the source for his poetry and painting are the same. He feels that getting in touch with this motivating force from within is the key to his success as an artist. Many of Howell's current lithographs and paintings incorporate his poetry within the image, thus, allowing the viewer a more sensitive insight into his creative mind.
Howell taught art for 11 years in high schools and on the college level, before moving to Colorado in 1968 to devote his life to painting, sculpting and printmaking."
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.
Using this method, my research indicates that your color lithograph number 38/50 of Frank Howell's Phoenix Rising has an estimated auction value of $1290.
A retail art gallery would at least double the auction sales price.
This means that the retail value range of your lithograph would be $2800-3200 assuming good condition.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.
Kind regards.
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
As far as where to sell, you should try this site -
https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art
It has 68 Howell lithographs for sale.
Kind regards,
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris