Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

I am located in Maui , my mom collected multiple dolls

Customer Question
Hi I am located in...
Hi I am located in Maui HI, my mom collected multiple dolls and I am.looking to sell them. How would I go about that
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
7/13/2015
Appraiser: Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antique Expert replied 2 years ago
Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antique Expert
Hello. My name is***** and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field. I am happy to help but can you tell me more?
What kind of dolls are these? Bisque? China? More Modern?..you mention that you have boxes so I would suspect 20th century items but clarity would help. It is great that the original boxes are in tact.
You may need to send these to a fine doll auction if these are of the quality of a collectors market. I do know the best but 20th century is a tighter market..lets see what you have. There are other venues if they do not fit a major auction house.
Any images? You can try to attach something with the paper clip icon tool (if you see one) or use our email system through the support team who will forward images to me –‘
Send images to:
***@******.***
"Kim D. in antiques" in the subject line will help the support team find me.
Hi Kim thanks for the reply, there are multiple types of dolls from cabbage patch dolls still in the packages, multiple porciline dolls, jesmar boy and girl babies, kewpie babies, gerber babies, and many more. All of these are in their original boxes. They are all from the 80's and 90's. What would be the best way to get these priced?
This is a bit tricky with so much..and in your location. I fully understand your situation. This does sound like an excellent collection for vintage dolls, however.
The period of doll is best sold online to the broadest of markets Worldwide on Ebay and Etsy but with so much you could even start a small shop on a site such as Ruby Lane or Amazon.
As you mention the prices to sell these at are helpful to know so you may well want to contact the Hawaii Doll Collectors organization (not on the same island but closest to you..and maybe a helpful connection as they do collectors shows in Hawaii and maybe happy to have a table with you) their contact information is:***@******.*** or telephone at(###) ###-####
If the Oahu folks can help with pricing that would be most helpful. They may have some books that you can use or direction to a more regional appraiser that could see these on site. Jan Foulkes guides are also helpful to give you ranges..or Linda Edward and Polly and Pam Judd for even more 20th century dolls. Yet price guides today are not as good as surveying the markets online and ebay gathering sites are most helpful to see what people are selling and getting for their dolls.
Collectors Weekly is a good option as well as Antique Auctions Now or Vintage Toy Auction site (I chose cabbage patch to get you started)
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/dolls/cabbage-patch
http://antiqueauctionsnow.net/search/doll
http://www.vintagetoysauctions.com/CabbagePatch/#.VaMh9I3D_mI
I would highly suggest getting in touch with the local doll community in the area (even if they arent in your backyard). Enthusiast groups can be so helpful in with a collection like this and thoroughly enjoy sharing their knowledge. Once you have a handle on what you have then selling these either consignment or by online auction will be an enjoyable way to get these to collectors who will appreciate the time and effort your mother put into preserving them!
Best wishes and take care,
PS If you have other items of interest please remember my name. Any post addressed to “Kim D” at the head of the question will be sent to my inbox so I can help my return patrons first!
I would be more than happy to work with you again!
Hi Kim, if I start taking pictures of the dolls and sending them to you would.that help. Then you can direct me better as to were to post them.
Hello - I am not sure what number you have.
This would make a difference and a subscription would need to be started as we handle one item at a time or one inquiry at a time. (a photograph and any markings as to date or make for each one in each question)
If these are vintage, as these sound, they are best sold online rather than auction yet a large collection might be sold consignment or as a group by a venue in your area...This is why I gave you the Hawaii Doll Organization as they would be the ones to assist in how... and who could help you with this.
I certainly could assist with pricing dolls but I hate to go that route if there is someone there that can go through these at your home or you could take them to them.
Posting each can take a bit of time but with an album of photographs we can work through a small list. You would have to finish this question with a kind rating (I hope!) and then start a subscription that we could work through the collection.
Just know that this can be cumbersome and is a distant system..I dont want you to be disappointed as it takes patience...so I like to provide regional help instead. Yet I am always here.
All my best,
Hello - I am following up to see how else that I can help.
I hope that you can see that I answered your question. My aim is excellence in service so I always want to check in when I don't hear from my patrons.
If you have no further questions, kindly rate my work with you as this is the only way the site credits us for working with you...no further cost to you!
Thank you in advance and know I am always here to return to even after the rating, if you find out more information from these resources. I would love to hear from you!
Best wishes,
Kim D
Hello - I am following up to see how else that I can help. I provided quite a bit of information. My aim is excellence in service so I always want to check in when I don't hear from my patrons. What else do you need? If you have no further questions, kindly rate my work with you as this is the only way the site credits us for working with you...no further cost to you! Thank you in advance and know I am always here to return to even after the rating, if you find out more information from these resources. I would love to hear from you! Best wishes, Kim D