Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Real antiques? Or help and direction to the right person?

Customer Question

Real antiques? Or help and direction to the right person? Furniture,art,silver,etc.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Hello,It sounds like you have had a bad experience with an auction house. They are not all like that, but I am sorry that you are out so much money in that regard. Silver always sells at auction unless you have a high reserve, so I don't know why they would send it back and not try it again in their next auction.Let me know what you are looking to accomplish here. Do you need to know what your antiques are worth if you sell them or for insurance purposes? Those are two different numbers in most cases.I'll let you know how things work here. We assess one item per question to keep things organized. With antiques, photos of item, marks, signatures, etc are important for giving us visual clues that you might not find important but are key items to us. You can add pictures by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.We have different experts for different items, so that is why we ask for you to have us assess one item per question. Since this is still your first question, you can add an item to get us started here. A piece of silver with marks would be great.