Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I have purchased a 65 piece Meito 8 piece dinner setting…

Customer Question
Hello, I have purchased a...
Hello, I have purchased a 65 piece Meito 8 piece dinner setting and have read your advice regarding the Mandarin pattern. Very interesting, thank you. However in doing my research on the pattern, the Mandarin seems to be identical to the Diplomat pattern. Even the sample images provided by the company are identical (their is a section of glare on both photos that is also identical!). How can I tell which pattern it is please? I also haven't been able to determine the approx. year of manufacture for both patterns either. Am hoping you can assist.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
Answered in 2 days by:
6/28/2015
Appraiser: Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Hello Nora,
The pieces I have: Terrene & platter; Coffee pot, milk jug, cream jug, sugar bowl; 8 tea cups & 6 saucers; 6 coffee cups & 6 saucers; 3 soup/desert bowls & 6 saucers; 8 dinner plates; 8 salad plates; 8 bread & butter plates. I'm interested to know the approximate age of the setting, clarity about whether it is the Diplomat or Mandarin pattern, value as a complete setting, and value if I were to break it up (eg Coffee pot and accessories, tea cups/saucers, platter and terrene dish etc). Regards, Tracy.
Meito coffee or tea set.jpgMeito c...jpgMeito dinner set.jpgMeito d...jpgMeito soup bowls.jpgMeito s...jpgMeito tea cups and saucers.jpgMeito t...jpgMeito logo on back of di...jpgMeito l...jpgMeito website Diplomat.pngMeito w...pngMeito website Mandarin.pngMeito w...pngMeito terriene & platter.jpgMeito t...jpg
Thank you for the images. Some close-ups on the pattern design and a view of the mark on the underside will be helpful.
Is this an automated response? One of the photos was the Meito logo on the bottom of all the pieces. Two of the photos show the Diplomat and Mandarin designs from the Meito website, both show a close up of the pattern.
There were 8 images in total. Have all been received?
Yes, all of the images are attached here. I was looking at the response from a different platform, which on there showed only one image. My apologies for the confusion - and no, any responses posted on this thread between us are typed up by me in person - not auto-responder.
~Nora
OK, thanks for the explanation. Nearly 1.00am here, so I'm off to bed. Will check in tomorrow. :)
Certainly
Hi Tracy,
I have come up with a few conclusions to your question, however it may be best to discuss this over the phone. I can send an additional offer service for such.
~Nora
Hi Nora, phone is inconvenient in terms of both additional cost and factoring in our two time zones. Would prefer your advice in writing please. Regards, Tracy
okay, thanks for getting back to me.
Hi Tracy,
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser