Appraisals

Need an Online Appraisal? Ask an Appraisal Expert

Appraisals

UNSIGNED, UNFISHED OIL PAINTING (NOT A MONET- HAVE REPORT

Customer Question
FROM A MONET EXPERT- REFERRED...
UNSIGNED, UNFISHED OIL PAINTING (NOT A MONET- HAVE REPORT FROM A MONET EXPERT- REFERRED BY YOU) Monet had stronger colours in painting leaves and my painting has trees trucks that were more brown than Monet's deep blue - his sunflowers were stronger yellow
whereas EDOUARD MANET- who painted similar except - he used a lighter hand. I have narrowed it down to around 12 paintings of Manet- his oils showing his paintings of "Monet in his garden in Argenteuil" same fence, same small flowers, ETC. XX XXX XXX. I
am willing to pay another few thousand for provenance - if there is a reasonable chance- otherwise I will have to give up- had it 43 years from client whose father was an art dealer in Budapest, where the impressionists all donated/sold their paintings.. when
emailing-please print actual email return-so that I can forward the report.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
6/24/2015
Appraiser: Rarewares, Other replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Other
Please add a photo of the painting, the back and some details of the canvas/stretcher construction. You can add pictures by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
You can also email pictures to***@******.*** and put FOR RAREWARES IN ANTIQUES in the subject line so that they will get forwarded to me. This method takes a bit longer, so thank you in advance for some patience.
I have had this painting for 43 years Was told by her that her dad was an art dealer in Budapest (All the impressionists donated/sold paintings to the museum for exposure - museums then in turn sold them to the local art dealers.I had a Monet expert- who said- no. probably a Manet, who was the other painter whose leaves were less bold-his tree trunks not as blue as Monet. Kindly send your direct email- as that is the only way I can forward the report (not technical) Mirene Wild.
The email is***@******.***. Add 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line. We are not allowed to send out personal email here. I will also need photos as I mentioned in an earlier note. There are so many visual clues in a few photos that will really help me to assist you with this piece.
While the mind would go to the most famous artists first, it is more likely that your piece is a work by an artist that was inspired by Monet, Manet, Renoir and Degas. There are several artists that have this style and met and exhibited with these Impressionist masters. The first is Childe Hassam (1859-1935)who was American but lived in Europe for three years. The style and color palette are very similar.
Another artist is Gustave Caillebotte (1848-1894) who was a bit of an enigma. He was known to give away his work. He did not need money as he got a large inheritance from his father. He didn't become 'known' until well after his own passing and now his work is quite valuable.There are also several 'studies' and unfinished pieces. This work that you have fits his palette of a gray/blue in tones and the longer faces with few details in figures. Your piece would date to 1870-1890 and would have a value of $250,000 to 380,000 if it could be verified as one of his studies. His large, signed and finished paintings sell for over 1 million dollars on average. It is the lack of a signature that devalues your piece.
Another artist that comes to mind with this piece is Georges D'Espagnat (1870-1950). D'Espagnat became closely acquainted with many of the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists including Renoir, Vuillard, Andre, Bonnard and Denis. Between 1905-10, he stayed with Renoir on several occasions accompanied by Valtat, and visited Italy, Spain, Portugal London, Dresden, Munich and Antwerp.
You could also consider the Hungarian impressionist contemporaries of the French impressionists that include Pál Szinyei Merse, Károly Ferenczy, János Vaszary, Adolf Fényes, László Mednyánszky, and József Rippl-Rónai.
When you have no signature, you must look everywhere and I hope you understand that these artists are all possibilities. There can be no certainty without more definitive provenance.
Rarewares
Rarewares
Rarewares, Other