Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

I purchased a graduated chest of drawers at a Whittington…

Customer Question
I purchased a graduated chest...
I purchased a graduated chest of drawers at a Dick Whittington Auction 20 years ago. The wood type maybe be chestnut. The chest sits upon a beautifully carved base, Queen Anne styled legs. The drawer construction is tongue and groove, but so are the slats on the front of the piece that separate the drawers. Also, the back has three slats of wood and a hole towards the top that is said to be made by a critter. I purchased it for $6,000 and would now like to know a general price, since I am in the market to sell.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appraisals
6/15/2015
Appraiser: Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antique Expert replied 2 years ago
Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antique Expert
Hello. My name is***** and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field much it with high quality furniture. I am happy to help as this is a lovely Queen Anne from the 18th century.
I'd like to do some more research and return with a fuller answer after studying the most recent sales of early furniture both retail and auction across the country.
I hope that you have a bit of patience as I will be back later tonight but this is a great New England piece that does have value.
Antique markets have been tough for a number of years now so values were much better 20 years ago (just a warning as I like to provide accurate realistic numbers for 2015 so you know what you truly have) but lets take a look.
Talk to you soon,
Hello - Thank you so much for your patience. A long day but I did have time to do quite a bit of research on your tall chest-on-frame.
As I found, and have seen for some time now, fine large case pieces have not been bringing what they did 15 to 20 years ago and it is a shame for early 18th century furniture. Those who are in the market to buy have wonderful opportunities to acquire beautiful antiques at a reasonable price..yet sellers are more frustrated.
This particular New England rectangular top antique with its applied molded cornice above a case of graduated drawers set on a base with a scalloped and figured apron and central drop, raised on cabriole legs ending in delicate pad feet and dates to the second quarter of the 18th century. It is in very good condition (except for your details about the back - which sound minor) thus its antique value is good - even as current retail numbers are soft.
Currently in 2015 our markets have only risen slightly since your purchase and this chest would have a current fair market value and retail value very close in numbers at 7***-**-****.00 (USD) at private sale or fine antique store. If you were looking to sell (I would encourage you to wait but I understand situations may be necessary) a retail offer of 9***-**-****.00 (USD) would be appropriate and allow you some room to come down depending on your region and venue of sale.
I hope that this is more helpful than disappointing as I know it is not what any of us would like to see..or would have expected 20 years ago but Economic pressures, tastes and Internet availability have all suppressed prices.
I have even studied major New York and Boston high end auctions at the finest of furniture houses and even there the market's tall chests are fairing moderately..so I apologize - but I also know that my excellent ratings are based on my interest in assisting my patrons with the most accurate information and my ethical leanings as I provide you with useful information which you can make decisions on as you move forward with your collections.
Best wishes and take care - this maybe a time to hold on to this beautiful investment quality piece..if you choose to keep it, a replacement value on the high end of the range would be appropriate for your records in 2015 for a tall chest of this age, style and quality (8750.00 USD).
Please do return with any comments or thoughts even after the system asks for a rating. I would be happy to hear from you... and as always please keep me in mind if you have other items of interest.
You can find me by addressing your questions to "Kim D." at the head of your post. I would love to see what else you have!
All my best,
Kim
Hello - I am just following up to see if you had any questions. My aim is excellent customer service and I am always concerned when I don't hear from my patrons.
What more can I tell you about your antique tall chest of drawers?
If you have no further questions, would you please rate my service at no additional cost to you?
You can always find me, even after the rating as I am always here if you think of something else or have other comments.
Thank you in advance as this is how the site is triggered to credit me for my time and pays us as experts - so the follow up is key - yet I am here if you have further questions or comments to tell me more.
My excellent ratings are based on my care for my patrons so know that I am here even well after...I look forward to seeing what else you have - but please finish with a simple review.
Thank you!
Kim
Thank you!
Kim