Appraisals

Need an online appraisal? Ask an appraisal Expert

My friend painted me and now wants to charge me $3500

Customer Question
Hi My friend painted me and...
Hi
My friend painted me and now wants to charge me $3500 for the oil painting on an 11x14 canvas. How would I know that the price is a fair price ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Appraisals
6/4/2015
Appraiser: Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P, Consultant replied 3 years ago
Khristopher N. Sines AACJ, BSHS/M, MS/P
Hi there and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to help you with your question. I have over 20 years experience researching the internet. I work in Healthcare as a General Manager. I have my Master's degree in Psychology, Bachelor's in Human Service Management, and my Associates in Criminal Justice. I am an Ordained Minister and also a Notary Public.
At minimum, you should calculate the cost of your materials to know what your absolute lowest price is. The price can vary based on many stipulations. Such as, hours working, reputation, canvas size, etc.
An artist friend of mine once told me that the going rate was $3/square inch. Plus the cost of materials.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem. I will go above and beyond to make sure you are 100% satisfied! Please don’t forget to rate my answer as good or above so I get credit. Thank you and God Bless!

So if the canvas is 11 by 14 how much will that be?

That would be about $462.00 plus materials!

Thank you for your time but I would like another expert's opinion, one that has knowledge in painting and art. I know she had spent so many hours on this painting but I don't know how many.

I respect your opinion but still wish to be referred to an expert on the ARTS.

Sincerely,

Melba Militante

Ok. I will opt out! Thanks!
Appraiser: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Try to estimate how many hours you sat for the portrait or how many hours the artist worked on the portrait. A rate of $30-40 per hours would be about right.

Normally an 11 x 14" portrait by an artist that is not well-known should run between $1800-2200.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty or site charges - both are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris
Doris,
I am wrong the size of the portrait is 18 by 24. I have attached the picture, can you give me a revised estimate ? Can you see the attachment?
I cannot see the attachment.

These are the instruction for the paper clip tool bar. If it does nt work the try the free site photo transfer imgur.com.

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer

You can use the paper clip found in the toolbar in your reply box.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Or if you prefer, you can use imgur.com

I look forward to seeing your photos.

Kind regards, Doris.
The larger size does alter the value somewhat.

The usual charge for a portrait that is 18 x 24" and by an unlisted artist is $2200-2500.

Please do not forget my need for a positive rating.

Kind regards,

Doris
Hi there!

Let me know,
Doris